mounting

Old August 13th 03, 01:23 AM
Gina

Default mounting

We just acquired a 2 yr old male cocker spaniel. He is not neutered. I
also have 2 other dogs. Both females. He will not leave the cocker female
alone. He keeps trying to mount her. She is definitely not in heat. I
don't want to get either of them fixed at this time. I am hoping to breed
them. He is a great dog other than the mounting. Does anyone have any
suggestions as to why he is doing this. If it is to show dominance, I would
think the past two days, he has made it well known to her. Also does anyone
have any ideas on how to get him to stop? Other than neutering.

Thanks.

Old August 13th 03, 02:52 AM
Jo Wolf

Gina, the solution is neutering him and spaying her. To prevent health
problems.

Are all of the dogs you're thinking of breeding really terrifically
"perfect" dogs? I ask because we have had three Cockers come into
obedience classes this summer, and each of them has at least one
breed-specific health problem, and two of them, although sold as
purebreds (from two different breeders who do not live near each
other... not locally) don't look a whole lot like well-bred Cockers!

If you are not familiar with the genetic health problems of the breed,
you need to do some research, then testing for those disorders that have
tests, and pedigree research for those that don't have tests. No sense
in selling puppies that will have miserable lives.... sigh Breeding
is not cheap....

The Cocker rescue people are run off their feet by dogs needing new
homes... so obviously al lot of homes that seemed good at the time of
sale, weren't..... and a lot of irresponsible breeders who should have
taken these dogs back and found them good homes this time, didn't. Do
you have the resources to take back a dog 6 years after you sold it as a
puppy? Something to think about.... because you should be fully
committed to doing that long before you sell the first puppy.

Save yourself a lot of time and money... just get them all "fixed".
They'll be healthier and live longer.... and be so much easier to take
care of.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old August 13th 03, 03:51 AM
Gina

She has already been tested for several health problems and there are no
signs. She has many close champions in her bloodline and she is a perfect
example of the breed. He on the other hand has not been tested yet. As I
said I've only had him two days. He also has champions in his bloodline but
not as many as she has. I plan on testing him. He had to be given up
because of a new baby's allergies. He had been shaved so it's hard to tell
what he is going to look like when it grows back in. I did see pictures of
him (his previous owners had planned on showing him) and the pictures
showed a beautiful dog. I am watching him to be sure he has the temperament
for a stud.

I appreciate your concern. I've asked myself all the questions you have
asked. I would definitely take back any puppies (dogs) at anytime if they
were no longer wanted. I love my dogs as I would any offspring. To be
honest with you, I'm not even sure I could give them up when the time came.

These are the only two dogs I'm even thinking of breeding. My other dog is
a Mini Schnauzer and she is just a great companion dog. That's all she ever
will be. As great as she is, she is not breeding material. I know most
dogs are NOT breeding material.

Thanks for your help.

Old August 13th 03, 05:13 AM
Melissa S. Frye

"Gina" wrote in message
She has already been tested for several health problems and there are no
signs. She has many close champions in her bloodline and she is a perfect
example of the breed.

How do you know that? I mean we all think our dogs are great, but all
parents think their kids are too!
Has she been independantly assessed in the breed ring, or hunting field?
Agility or obedience titled?

What health problems have they been teted for? In cockers I would expect OFA
and Cerf at a minimum
With the number of eye problems in the breed any respnsible breeder is
having their dogs eyes checked yearly by a veterinary opthomologist.

My recent breeding was Ch. Legend Silver Bullet (OFA Good/eyes clear) to
Ging's Skyrocket Flair AX AXJ JH WD (OFA Good/ eyes clear)
"Coors", in addition to being a breed champion has a Junior Hunter leg and
has produced excellent working dogs, including the number 2 agility cocker,
three field titled dgs and three versatiity award winners.
My girl Flair has a ton of champions in her pedigre (5 that are not
champions in a 5 generation) and I certainly wouldn't be breeding her is
that was all that was going for her.
Only health problems in parents is that Flairs father deeloped cataracts at
Age 10 - a real concern, but acceptable to me at that age. Flair siblings
are fine, as are Coors. How much do you know about the health of siblings
and parents?

And there ar so many cockers dying in shelters that breeding for any reason
other than to improve the breed and produce exceptional cockers is
irresponsible
www.cockeradoption.com
http://www.cockerspanielrescue.com/

There are a lot of nice cockers there - how can you ensure that pupies you
breed will be superior?

He on the other hand has not been tested yet. As I
said I've only had him two days. He also has champions in his bloodline

but
not as many as she has. I plan on testing him. He had to be given up
because of a new baby's allergies. He had been shaved so it's hard to tell
what he is going to look like when it grows back in. I did see pictures

of
him (his previous owners had planned on showing him) and the pictures
showed a beautiful dog. I am watching him to be sure he has the

temperament
for a stud.

Do you plan on showing him? How do you know he is quality? What about his
parents and siblings health history?
How is he the best possible stud to improve your bitch, or is he merely
convinent?

I appreciate your concern. I've asked myself all the questions you have
asked. I would definitely take back any puppies (dogs) at anytime if they
were no longer wanted. I love my dogs as I would any offspring. To be
honest with you, I'm not even sure I could give them up when the time

came.

Why are you breeding? Every breeder needs to be able to answer that
question.
Money? I am $750 out on my last litter - and happy with the results.
Because your dogs are nice? So are all those cockers that never even get as
far as rescue...
Adding more cockers is a serious concern - I really had to sit down and
justify to myself how I could ethically breed dogs.

These are the only two dogs I'm even thinking of breeding. My other dog

is
a Mini Schnauzer and she is just a great companion dog. That's all she

ever
will be. As great as she is, she is not breeding material. I know most
dogs are NOT breeding material.

What makes your cockers breeding material then? And what makes this stud
right for that girl?

Thanks for your help.

--
Melissa S. Frye
Skyrocket cockers www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/

Old August 13th 03, 12:48 PM
Gina

I don't remember saying this male was appropriate for breeding. That's what
I'm hoping to find out. And yes I will do all my homework before I even
consider it. I know there are so many cockers in rescue. I've been
following rescue cockers for some time. I would even volunteer to foster if
my daughter would not get so attached.

I appreciate your concern. There are too many unwanted dogs out there and I
certainly don't want to contribute to that problem. I don't think you will
tell me or ask me anything that I have not asked myself. It is so great to
know that there are a lot of responsible breeders still out there. In my
area that is a rare find. Thanks

Old August 13th 03, 07:29 PM
dianne marie schoenberg

She has already been tested for several health problems and there are no
signs. She has many close champions in her bloodline and she is a perfect
example of the breed.

Ooooh... there is no such thing as a "perfect example" of any breed :-(.
If you pursue the idea of breeding her, you will need to become intimately
aware of both her good qualities AND her faults--the latter is how you
decide which dog to breed her to. And that's very seldom the dog in your
own house. Be prepared to travel--the right dog for her may well be a
thousand miles (or farther) away.

And not only do you need to know her good points and faults, you need
to know the same for the dogs in her pedigree. Just knowing that they
were champions is NOT enough. Get on the phone to their owners or
breeders, or better yet go to some shows to meet her relatives. What
she will produce depends quite a lot on her pedigree. If she has a
nice muzzle (just an example) but her grandfather didn't, you certainly
won't want to breed her to a dog with a less-than-wonderful muzzle.
And that's just one of the about a thousand things you need to take
into account.

When it comes to finding a dog to breed her to, you need to see him
stacked and moving as in the show ring, moving naturally, and to have
your hands on him. Perferably you will have a chance to spend a few
days with him to get a good assessment of his temperament. Plus you
should do the same amount of pedigree research on him as you do on
her. You don't want him to have skeletons in the closet that come
back to bite you.

No, breeding isn't for sissies. But considering that you will be
bringing little lives into a world where many are already dying,
you've got an obligation to do it as well as it can possibly be
done.

Dianne

Old August 14th 03, 04:18 AM
Jag795

No, breeding isn't for sissies. But considering that you will be
bringing little lives into a world where many are already dying,
you've got an obligation to do it as well as it can possibly be
done.

Dianne

Very Well Said, Dianne!

Jan