Calgary report

Old August 13th 03, 05:37 AM
Julia Altshuler

Default Calgary report

Jim and I are back from our annual summer visit to Calgary to see my in-laws.

Yes, we saw Matt. Not as often as I would have liked, but we did spend an
afternoon on the deck of a sort of cafe-type bar where the guys drank beer and
where I refrained. (I'm normally pretty healthy, but wouldn't you know I got
sick in a strange town amidst in-laws who don't talk about such things. I
couldn't add beer to my symptoms. I'm fine now, thanks and impressed with the
Canadian health care system where one can get a walk-in appointment at a clinic
and pay cash.) I did NOT get a chance to see Rocky and Friday this trip. Next
year.

Oddly enough, the whole family was interested in the Kennel Club show that
happened to be happening while we were there. It wasn't as much fun as the
sheep dog trials at last year's Stampede, but it was a dog related activity
while I was away. We watched agility. I was so impressed. From what I could
tell, the most common stumbling point wasn't an inability to do what was
required on each piece of equipment (the weaves were obviously the hardest), but
trouble getting the command right to know which equipment was next. That makes
me feel good in a strange way. That's been my biggest problem with Cubbe. She
clicker trains to learn new tricks right away and obviously loves it, but she's
a remedial student on even the most basic commands.

I was worried the whole trip about Cubbe in the kennel. I'd inspected the
place, couldn't find anything necessarily wrong with it but worried all the
same. She came back fine, fat, and excessively happy to see us. I've given up
on trying to tell kennel employees how much to feed Cubbe. She goes in trim,
comes back a butterball and slims down again once we put her on short rations
when she gets home. They said she warmed up to them slowly just as I said she
would but did come around. They further said she was great with people, great
with housetraining, horrible with other dogs-- which I'd also warned them
about. Apparently if they have 2 dogs who get along, they let them romp
together for exercise. Cubbe got the individual treatment. They tried her
carefully with 2 different dogs and then gave up. Cubbe does not play well with
others.

This leads me to a question. I have a friend in New York I've mentioned
before. He's the guy with Molly the beautiful ginger colored Chow Chow. He'll
be visiting my area often. I'd love to have him stay with us here, but he
travels with Molly, and I'm reasonably sure that if Cubbe doesn't get along with
dogs in general, she'll be especially intolerant of one on her territory.
Still, I'm reluctant to tell my friend that he's not welcome with Molly. (This
guy has been tremendously generous, and besides, I LIKE him.) Any advice on how
to solve the problem or at least manage it? It is getting mighty awkward
telling a friend that he can't stay over.

And now a note about the group. I was using this trip as an experiment to see
if the occasional post was useful. I was thinking it didn't really do much to
discourage new people from entering into the age-old argument. I come back and
see tons of lunatic related discussion. Or is it the same amount and it just
seems like more since I've been away? I may bring it back posting it
appropriately and, as always, clearly marked so it can stay in the regulars'
killfiles.

--Lia