After meds, still SA.

Old August 13th 03, 05:38 PM
Brett

Default After meds, still SA.

I started my dog (15 yr/old Maltese female) on SA medication (Clomipramine
25mg twice a day) almost a
2 weeks ago. It's a powder in a capsule. I sprinkle 1/2 the capsule on her
food twice/day. One of the problems I'm having is getting her to eat twice
a day. The only thing she will eat is her food. Peanut butter, canned
pumpkin, dog treats, etc. doesn't work. I have cut back on the amount of
food I give her so she will eat (take medicine) twice a day. This still
isn't working as good as it could...I suppose. I don't see any difference
since she has been on the medication.

She is still barking while I'm gone. I've video taped her. While I'm gone
she mainly sits or lays by the door for about 3-5 minutes. Then she gets up
looks around, may walk into the living room and back to the door. This is
continuous the whole time I'm gone. It looks
like a nervous habit. She does have a crate but will not lay in it. She
doesn't even like sleeping in it. If I have clothes on the floor, she will
sleep on those at night. I have bought her some toys but she won't play
with them. She always looks at me like "what am I suppose to do with these.
Don't leave." I always get the feeling she is worried I'm going to leave.
She always seems very fragile, shaky and worred.

She does have skin allergies, which I'm giving her medication for
(Prednisolone 5mg every other day) until the allergy subsides. I'm
currently giving her an eye sab called Vetropolycin Hydroc. Ointment for the
build of gook in her eyes. It clears up after a few days and I stop giving
her the ointment until it gets bad again.

While I'm her, she seems to have very nervous habits. Every where I go in
the house, she follows me. To the bathroom and she sits at the door staring
opposite the bathroom. To the kitchen and she stands watching while I'm
there. To the desk and she sits by the chair staring into
space (opposite the chair). Sometimes she will lay in her bed under the
sete (by the desk) or stand staring into space. She also seems to wimper
while shes standing or sitting and staring. It's sort of like a loud
breathing. Then sometimes she will lay down quitely. I'm probably noticing
all of this more since I found out about SA. If this were a person, I'd say
they were a nervous wreck.

I keep trying to make her SA better but nothing seems to work. I guess I'm
back for more - any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brett

Old August 13th 03, 06:29 PM
Brett

I will try it but can't financially now. I don't have any confidence in it
either.

Brett

"Dimpled Chad" wrote in message
On 13 Aug 2003, Brett opined:

I keep trying to make her SA better but nothing seems to work.

I read your post looking for the part where you said "I researched and

found
a trainer/behaviorist who will give me one-on-one help".

IIRC, that was one of the strongest suggestions from before....

Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you
walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their
lives." - Sue Murphy

Old August 13th 03, 06:50 PM
Tricia9999

She has skin problems, eye problems, whimpering. I would look into trying a new
diet. I think she has some auto immune problems which could be contributing to
her anxiety. She needs a complete physical work-up.
Old August 13th 03, 06:50 PM
Tricia9999

Old August 13th 03, 07:40 PM
Brett

"Tricia9999" wrote in message
She has skin problems, eye problems, whimpering. I would look into trying

a new
diet. I think she has some auto immune problems which could be

contributing to
her anxiety. She needs a complete physical work-up.

I'm assuming I need to call the vet to discuss this with her?

Brett

Old August 13th 03, 09:26 PM
sionnach

Tricia wrote:

She has skin problems, eye problems, whimpering. I would look into

trying
a new
diet. I think she has some auto immune problems which could be

contributing to
her anxiety. She needs a complete physical work-up.

And Brett responded:

I'm assuming I need to call the vet to discuss this with her?

I think there's another possibility you need to discuss with your vet.
Namely, whether all these symptoms - especially the anxiety symptoms she
exhibits even when you're there- are related to the fact that everybody in
this discussion seems to keep missing: this dog is OLD. Fifteen is elderly
even for a small dog, and I think it's entirely possible that what you're
seeing may not be "seperation anxiety"- or at least not *just* SA. The
anxiety and restlessness could also be related either to physical
discomfort/illness of some sort, OR to the onset of the canine equivalent of
senility.

Old August 14th 03, 07:13 AM
Lynn K.

"Brett" wrote in message news:

Interesting point. Does the vet diagnose this and is there a way to
alliviate it?

The vet can assess whether she has any physical discomfort and address
relieving that discomfort. Geriatric onset of SA is pretty common
because of anxiety from discomfort, but I get the impression that your
Maltese has had SA for a long time and this is not a new problem. The
behaviorist's mention of obedience training is not completely
off-base. Many people feel that much SA stems from a dog's
uncertainty about their relationship with their human, or at least a
lack of structure in their homelife. Obedience can help remove that
uncertainty. Take a look at a widely available book, "The Latchkey
Dog".

Lynn K.