how often do puppies need to poop?

Old October 4th 04, 04:06 PM
MauiJNP

Default how often do puppies need to poop?

I have a young toy poodle who is about 14 weeks old. I wanted to know how
often he needs to go out to poop. I take him out to pee every hour but I
don't know which times he should also be pooping, certainly not every hour?
I try to take him out after he eats his food or gets treats but he has
access to his food all day long so its hard to know when he is or isn't
eating and how much he eats (so I know if its enough to make him go poopy).
Also, when its bedtime, I take him out around 2:30 am (after he has been cut
off from food for several hours) to do his business before bed (yes we stay
up late) he doesn't go poopy but he did at around midnight so I figure thats
ok. Then he wakes me at 4am to go out poopy. So, why does it seem that he
can only go 4 hours between poops when he doesn't eat anything at all in
between? Is this normal? How can I get him to go further in between? I
want him to be able to sleep at least 6 hours without needing to poop if
possible. Thanks for any info.

Jenny

Old October 4th 04, 04:13 PM
Fluttervale Labradors

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
[...]

Dogs generally "go" just after eating. I would reccomend feeding him 3-4x
daily, and removing his food if he doesn't eat. This will put him on a
schedule (wheras now he may go any time of day) and you can better predict
when he will need to go. You can adjust when he eats to make housebreaking
easier.

As he goes at 4 a.m., I would either feed the last meal enough hours earlier
to bring that back to a time when you are awake, or make it that much later
to make him need "out" after you are up in the morning.

--
Emily Carroll
Fluttervale Labradors: www.fluttervale.com/kennel

---

Old October 4th 04, 07:28 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"MauiJNP" wrote in
:

I have a young toy poodle who is about 14 weeks old. I wanted to know
how often he needs to go out to poop. I take him out to pee every
hour but I don't know which times he should also be pooping, certainly
not every hour?

I doubt it. When Moogli (shih tzu/min schnauzer mix) was that age, he was
pooping 3 or 4 times a day. Now that he is a little over 2 years old,
this is his pattern: In the morning, on his walk, he usually goes once.
In the evening, he usually goes twice.

I try to take him out after he eats his food or gets
treats but he has access to his food all day long so its hard to know
when he is or isn't eating and how much he eats (so I know if its
enough to make him go poopy).

We free feed as well, and he still goes twice a day. There is really no
difference between now (when he is loose all day) and before the summer
(when he was crated during the day) on when he eats. He usually snacks a
little bit in the morning after I put him in the bedroom and I leave for
work, and he eats a whole lot at night just after we go to sleep.

Also, when its bedtime, I take him out
around 2:30 am (after he has been cut off from food for several hours)
to do his business before bed (yes we stay up late) he doesn't go
poopy but he did at around midnight so I figure thats ok. Then he
wakes me at 4am to go out poopy. So, why does it seem that he can
only go 4 hours between poops when he doesn't eat anything at all in
between? Is this normal? How can I get him to go further in
between? I want him to be able to sleep at least 6 hours without
needing to poop if possible. Thanks for any info.

I think right now, you are limited by his age. At 14 weeks, 4 hours is
pretty good. When animals sleep, their digestive processes slow down. For
your pup, right now it takes about 5 hours for the food to work its way
through. Give it a month or so, and he should be sleeping longer without
needing to go to the bathroom.

--
Marcel and Moogli