Italian breed of hunting dog

Old November 14th 03, 09:26 PM
HHowey

Default Italian breed of hunting dog

Several years agao there was a dog show from Milan. The winning dog was an
Italian breed that was similar in appearance and color to a Yellow Labrador.

can anyone help me with the name of this breed?

Thanks;-)
Old November 14th 03, 09:59 PM
Rocky

HHowey said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Several years agao there was a dog show from Milan. The
winning dog was an Italian breed that was similar in
appearance and color to a Yellow Labrador.

The only Italian hunting dog that I can think of is the
Spinone, but they don't look much like labs:
http://www.spinone.com/

Or maybe you mean one of these (which I'd never heard of
until I googled):
http://www.furrycritter.com/resource...lian_Hound.htm
http://www.furrycritter.com/resource...inting_Dog.htm

Old November 14th 03, 11:48 PM
Sue

Could it have been a segugio?
They come in wheaten - but I'd be worried if you think they look like a lab!
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/di...ioitaliano.htm

Sue

Old November 15th 03, 04:37 AM
PErcoli

I own a Bracco Italiano which is an Italian Pointer. It looks like a hound in
the head type but everything else resembles a pointing breed. Doesn't even come
close to looking like a lab not even it's coloration, if anything, it looks
like a smooth Spinone.

Paula
Old November 15th 03, 03:37 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Rocky" wrote in message
HHowey said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Several years agao there was a dog show from Milan. The
winning dog was an Italian breed that was similar in
appearance and color to a Yellow Labrador.

The only Italian hunting dog that I can think of is the
Spinone, but they don't look much like labs:
http://www.spinone.com/

Or maybe you mean one of these (which I'd never heard of
until I googled):
http://www.furrycritter.com/resource...lian_Hound.htm
http://www.furrycritter.com/resource...inting_Dog.htm

W/o looking at the links...I think I watched that FCI show a few years ago.
The winning dog was a pale orange/white Bracco sp? Italiano. IIRC,
it was a Pointing dog of some sort, that looked more like a Spinone
or a GSP than a Lab.
There's also the Porcelaine. However, the Porcelaine is French,
and is grouped w/ the long-legged basset hounds (vs. the short-legged
Basset, PVGV, and is there another I can't remember).
To me, the Porcelaine has a miniscule Lab-like looks, however still
looks more Pointer than Lab.
Shelly & The Boys

Old November 15th 03, 11:23 PM
HHowey

I own a Bracco Italiano which is an Italian Pointer.

It was late at night;-) I am a Lab fancier; however, South Texas is hard on
such a breed. I am doing lots of work in Italy and might look up a breeder of a
weekend. I was particularly struck by the fact that such a champion dog was
good in the ring, on the hunt, and as a companion (as reported by his owner).

"Bracco" might be the name, though i remember it as being more of a retriever
type than a pointer;-)

Old November 16th 03, 03:19 AM
PErcoli

Then it isn't a retriever type at all. A Bracco is a Pointer all the way,
structure, movement, not a water dog. Very fast, very light on it's feet, high
prey drive, tons of energy....not a kennel dog, very sensitive, good with kids,
non agressive, very soft dog. Not really a dog recommended for hard core
hunters, unless they have a gentle touch and a soft voice. Any rough treatment
with this dog will turn it into a mental case. Needs a soft touch and
definately a house dog. Very short coat.
Definately not a breed for just anyone or everyone. Very much like a Spinone in
character. Also can be a whiner. Eats anything not nailed down. Research and
homework is really necessary. Most Italians do not like to sell their dogs
abroad and the best ones are in Italy. This breed if not understood can easily
end up in rescue. A fenced yard and obedeince training is a must. They can be
diggers and also destructive. They have nothing in common with a retreiving
breed.

Paula