Saint Bernard's and hot weather?

Old November 16th 03, 09:30 PM
Nicolas The Great

Default Saint Bernard's and hot weather?

I want to get a dog for my younger sister but I want to make sure that
the dog I get will do alright in the Las Vegas weather. I want what's
best for the dog and I don't want to get a dog that don't do well in
the heat.

The dog would mainly be in the house but there are time when it would
have to stay in the backyard and I'm worried about how it will do in
the heat.

Our first choice for a dog is a Saint Bernard, next would be a German
Shepard.

Thanks.

Nick - The Hypocrite
Old November 17th 03, 09:23 PM
kassa

First of all, do you live with your sister and are you prepared for
this to be your dog if she is not capable/willing to care for it?
It's usually a VERY bad idea to purchase a pet for somebody else, and
most good breeders won't let a puppy go unless they know the person
who will actually be raising it.

Second, Las Vegas is way too hot for any dog to stay outdoors for any
length of time. A Saint Bernard is out of the question, to my mind --
I've seen people at shows trying anxiously to cool their dogs down
when it's not even 75 degrees in the room.

As for a Shepherd, the shepherd people can answer better, but I
wouldn't want you to get ANY dog that would be outside in the summer
in Las Vegas.

kassa
Old November 18th 03, 01:34 AM
Mary Shafer

On 16 Nov 2003 13:30:02 -0800, (Nicolas The Great)
wrote:

I want to get a dog for my younger sister but I want to make sure that
the dog I get will do alright in the Las Vegas weather. I want what's
best for the dog and I don't want to get a dog that don't do well in
the heat.

The dog would mainly be in the house but there are time when it would
have to stay in the backyard and I'm worried about how it will do in
the heat.

Our first choice for a dog is a Saint Bernard, next would be a German
Shepard.

For years there was a St Bernard kennel, Gamby St Bernards, out on Ave
A, here in the Antelope Valley. Most of the dogs lived outdoors and
survived very nicely. Our weather is very much like that in Las
Vegas, with about the same highs and lows. We're in the same Sunset
Western Garden Book zone, 11.

There are a lot of collies and GSDs around here, too. They seem to
manage quite well outside. My collies have always lived outdoors for
part of the time, in fact.

However, there are some real conditions on this. The dogs absolutely
have to have shade, deep shade, not part shade And they have to have
abundant clean water. If your sister can't guarantee those two
things, forget it.

I really wouldn't recommend a St Bernard, if only because they are so
short-lived. What kind of dogs does your sister (not you, but her)
like? Why such big dogs?

Mary

Old November 18th 03, 03:14 PM
Nicolas The Great

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for repying Mary (That's my sister's name Heh-heh!). We love
dogs so much there are so many great breeds it's hard to choose the
right kind. If you read what I posted in the above post that should
explain a few things. Take care.

Nick
Old November 18th 03, 04:06 PM
Lone Hansen

"

I live with my sister because she's in a wheelchair and she needs
around the clock care. So I would be taking care of the dog.
We have a big house with a HUGE backyard with lots of trees for shade.
But I think I'll seek out a different breed. It wouldn't be fair for
a breed like that to suffer in hot weather. Even taking the dog for
a walk in the summer time would be tough on the dog. She likes beagles
so maybe I'll look into that breed. I dunno, I'll have to do more
research. Thanks for replying.

Nick

- Given your situation I think it would be an idea to choose a breed
that doesn't require a lot of exercise. The German Shepherd is a breed that
needs a LOT of interaction and exercise. I love the breed and have 2 but it
comes with a prize. lots and lots of training, lots and lots of interaction
and walks. The German Shepherd is a breed that is difficult to live with if
it isn't trained properly as it can be dominant and try to take over, also
they will get bored and destructive if not given the proper amount of
exercise that they need. Nor are they a breed that does well with being put
outside, as they need to be with the family. The German Shepherd is a
working breed and like all working breeds they need to work. I think that
you will do best in not getting a working breed as they can be hell on earth
if they are bored.
You will have to look into what amount of interaction you can give the
dog, how much time you can set aside for training, walks play etc and then
pick from there. Perhaps if would be an idea to look into getting an older
dog, as they have gotten over the puppy years and have started to relax and
settle down a bit. Perhaps something like an older lab or Golden will be an
idea for you. There are lot and lots of really nice older dogs in rescues.
Why not call a rescue and have a chat with them. Tell them your situation,
what you are looking for, how much time you are able to give with regards to
training, walks, play etc. That will the rescue something to work on and
they will be able to match you with the dog for you.

Lone

Old November 18th 03, 05:42 PM
Kathleen

Lone Hansen wrote:

"

[...]

Good advice. I would add one thing, though, to the original poster.
You say your sister is in a wheelchair... Have you looked into
acquiring a Support Dog?

Kathleen Hansen
Z-Control Skid Boots
Leg armor for gonzo dogs!
http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/ZControl.html

Old November 18th 03, 11:35 PM
Mary Shafer

On 18 Nov 2003 07:14:25 -0800, (Nicolas The Great)
wrote:

Mary Shafer wrote in message . ..

However, there are some real conditions on this. The dogs absolutely
have to have shade, deep shade, not part shade And they have to have
abundant clean water. If your sister can't guarantee those two
things, forget it.

I really wouldn't recommend a St Bernard, if only because they are so
short-lived. What kind of dogs does your sister (not you, but her)
like? Why such big dogs?

Thanks for repying Mary (That's my sister's name Heh-heh!). We love
dogs so much there are so many great breeds it's hard to choose the
right kind. If you read what I posted in the above post that should
explain a few things. Take care.

I saw your other posting and I see what you mean. My husband is in a
wheelchair and all of our collies quickly learned the command "back
up" because the halls in our house are just narrow enough that
something has to give when dog and chair meet.

Anyway, I'd recommend collies, maybe smooth-coated, but actually
there's a better way to pick out a breed than to have each of us
recommend our favorites. There are books and, maybe, Web sites with
questionnaires that will help you find the right breed. I got one of
the books before we got this pair of dogs, because collies are kind of
heavy for someone with a bad back, and we did seriously consider other
breeds.

Dogs with "flat" faces tend not to tolerate heat as well as dogs with
pointy muzzles (like collies or GSDs). This is because the longer
nose helps cool the air more (which is one of the reasons dogs need a
lot of water in the heat). However, most breeds will do OK in the
heat.

Anyway, look for books with names like "The Right Kind of Dog for You"
or "What Kind of Dog Should I Get"; I've seen such books in my local
bookstore fairly recently. The books address the usual
characteristics of the various breeds, so they're not absolutely
perfect, because every breed has unusual dogs, but on the average, the
stereotypes are pretty much correct. And a Google search might turn
up sites on the Web or, at least, more accurate titles.

Mary

Old November 19th 03, 02:55 AM
Nicolas The Great

"Lone Hansen" wrote in message ...
"

[...]

About ten years ago we use to have a German Shepard. She was a wonderful
dog. Her name was Samantha but we called her Sam. We had her for about
two years but we had to get her a better home because at the time we
couldn't spend the time with her. At the time with my work and health
reasons in the family we got her a new home on a 20 acre ranch. I know
she loved that place. Here's a picture of her.

http://critics.home.att.net/scan0003.jpg

Nick
Old November 19th 03, 02:59 AM
Rocky

Nicolas The Great said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Here's a picture of her.

http://critics.home.att.net/scan0003.jpg

She's cute, even though she has 4 ears.