incessant barking

Old August 21st 03, 12:18 PM
Perfidia

Default incessant barking

can anyone help with suggestions on how I can stop my 9 month old labrador
from constantly barking? he's done it since he found his voice and at the
moment all the neighbours have signed a petition to get rid pf him, he's a
lovely dog otherwise but his barking for no reason is really getting us all
down...thx

Old August 21st 03, 12:33 PM
Tara O.

"Perfidia" wrote in message
can anyone help with suggestions on how I can stop my 9 month old labrador
from constantly barking? he's done it since he found his voice and at the
moment all the neighbours have signed a petition to get rid pf him, he's a
lovely dog otherwise but his barking for no reason is really getting us

all
down...thx

Are you leaving him outside or do you live in an apartment building where
they can hear him barking from the inside? If he's outside then the simple
solution is to bring him indoors and only let him out when you're home and
able to supervise. Assuming he's outside, what is he barking at? Is he
barking at the door, at the fence, anything to indicate what gets him
started?

If he's barking inside then the same question about what he's barking at
applies. It could be a behavioral problem, a call for attention or a normal
dog. Some dogs are naturally more vocal than others. Many dogs will bark
though when they want attention because it almost always brings someone,
even if that someone is yelling at the dog.

--
Tara

Old August 21st 03, 01:34 PM
Paul B

"Tara O." wrote in message
"Perfidia" wrote in message
can anyone help with suggestions on how I can stop my 9 month old

labrador
from constantly barking? he's done it since he found his voice and at

the
moment all the neighbours have signed a petition to get rid pf him, he's

lovely dog otherwise but his barking for no reason is really getting us

all
down...thx

Are you leaving him outside or do you live in an apartment building where
they can hear him barking from the inside? If he's outside then the

simple
solution is to bring him indoors and only let him out when you're home and
able to supervise. Assuming he's outside, what is he barking at? Is he
barking at the door, at the fence, anything to indicate what gets him
started?

And then what?

If he's barking inside then the same question about what he's barking at
applies. It could be a behavioral problem, a call for attention or a

normal
dog. Some dogs are naturally more vocal than others. Many dogs will bark
though when they want attention because it almost always brings someone,
even if that someone is yelling at the dog.

Yeah, so the training advice is.........????

--
Tara

Old August 21st 03, 01:53 PM
Suja

Perfidia wrote:

can anyone help with suggestions on how I can stop my 9 month old labrador
from constantly barking? he's done it since he found his voice and at the
moment all the neighbours have signed a petition to get rid pf him, he's a
lovely dog otherwise but his barking for no reason is really getting us all
down...thx

A few questions first. Is he an indoor dog or an outdoor dog? When
does he bark (when there are people home, when he's alone, doesn't
matter)? Why do you think he's barking - is it at something outside, to
get you to play, to get you to pay attention, etc.? Has he had any
obedience training? How much exercise does he get, and what kind?

Suja

Old August 21st 03, 02:10 PM
Tara O.

"Paul B" no spammers wrote in message

"Tara O." wrote in message

[...]

No training advice is needed if the dog is barking because its left outside.
Bring the dog in, no training involved. As for the other possibilities I
mentioned, I don't see the point in issuing training advice until the cause
of the problem is known. Distract & praise requires your presence, maybe
the dog is barking when no one is home. Distract and praise won't fix
separation anxiety if that is the cause of the barking. Advocating the
cookie cutter method of "this is the fix", without knowing why something is
'broken' in the first place, is prone to failure IMO.

--
Tara

Old August 21st 03, 02:10 PM
Tara O.

"Tara O." wrote in message

[...]

How do I stop my dog barking? Purple Dog rescue 0 December 9th 04 10:36 AM
Boston Terriers: Question about barking Penelope Dog breeds 1 November 17th 03 08:33 PM
Barking cpdaly Dog behavior 0 August 14th 03 11:39 AM
Barking cpdaly Dog behavior 0 August 14th 03 11:39 AM
Barking Suja Dog behavior 2 August 4th 03 08:48 PM