Ping Pug People- what do you think of/know about this breeder?

Old August 22nd 03, 04:25 AM
Sionnach

Default Ping Pug People- what do you think of/know about this breeder?

This web site doesn't give me any "red flags", and it's got some things
that seem like "green flags" to me, but I don't know much about Pugs.

http://singalong.hypermart.net/about.html

Comments?

--
Sarah
Brenin, CGC, AD, O-EAC-V, O-EJC-V, EGC

we can be seen at: http://photos.yahoo.com/amberdogs1
and http://photos.yahoo.com/amberdogs2

Old August 22nd 03, 05:36 AM
Abby Pennington

"Sionnach" wrote in
:

This web site doesn't give me any "red flags", and it's got some
things
that seem like "green flags" to me, but I don't know much about Pugs.

http://singalong.hypermart.net/about.html

Comments?

They seem ok. They are new to the breed. Both of the kennels they have
"foundation" from, Kroepel and Ronk, are decent breeders. I am wary that
they are breeding the one bitch and no mention of showing her at all.

You won't find much in the way of health testing in Pugs. Even the
best breeders don't do a whole lot.

Do you know of someone looking for a Pug, Sarah?

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****

Old August 22nd 03, 05:19 PM
Sionnach

Both of the kennels they have
"foundation" from, Kroepel and Ronk, are decent breeders.

Ah- good, that's one of the things I was wondering about.

I am wary that
they are breeding the one bitch and no mention of showing her at all.

On the plus side, I like it that they're very upfront about selling all
their puppies on limited registration. And my friend's not looking for a
show dog; just a healthy pet with a good temperament.

Do you know of someone looking for a Pug, Sarah?

Well, she's not looking any more- she's sent a deposit for one of the two
puppies that this breeder currently has available. From all reports,
in-person (on the phone, so far, because the pups are too young for having
visitors by this breeder's rules) has been good; appropriate questions asked
and answered on both sides, no pushing about money- IOW, no hurry to sell
the pups, and a desire to make sure they go into good homes & that the buyer
gets a good match temperamentally.

BTW the person in question is my good friend who gave me Rocsi; she did
her research this time to find a breed that suits her lifestyle and
personality, and the other factors that made her unable to keep Rocsi have
changed.
The dog she already has now has two years of solid training; her work
schedule is currently more appropriate to raising a puppy; she's changed her
living arrangements, has a good dogwalker lined up, and so forth.

Old August 22nd 03, 05:20 PM
Sionnach

The "don't let your dog meet any other
dogs before 6 mos" is total BULLSHIT.

Well, yeah. And my friend has no intention of paying any attention to THAT.

Old August 22nd 03, 05:20 PM
Sionnach

Old August 22nd 03, 05:56 PM
Abby Pennington

"Sionnach" wrote in
:

Well, yeah. And my friend has no intention of paying any attention to
THAT.

Oh good!!!! sigh of relief

OTOH, there may be some immune-related issues in this breeder's stuff
that may warrant this precaution--IOW they may not be as healthy as she
would like to think.

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****

Old August 22nd 03, 09:13 PM
sionnach

"Abby Pennington" wrote:

Yes, also a good thing (no rush for money, no rush to sell the puppies).
But I still really think their "no contact til 6 mos" is really, REALLY
odd.

Actually, I've heard variations on that one before; it's kind of like the
thing about not taking dogs to training classes until 6 mo.

I was taking my Pug pup to show classes to get used to it from 4 mos
up.
He went to the vet's office (my place of employment), Pug parties, etc.

Yup. Rocsi went everywhere as soon as I got her. My personal opinion is
that the socialization benefits far outweigh the health risks, as long as
you're careful.

If you isolate them too much, that can be problematic. (See: people who

use
antibacterial soaps with their kids on EVERYTHING have a higher incidence
of their children becoming ill than those who let their kids play in the
mud and, well, be kids. Overvigilance--is that a word?--can work against
the body's immune response.)

Yup again. G I have a feeling the breeder may be like that about her
kids, too- did you notice she's got six of 'em?- in fact, I have a sneaking
suspicion she may be a homeschooler. There's a certain contingent of
homeschoolers who believe in protecting their kids like that, too. (Dunno if
you've ever seen me mention the fact that my sister homeschooled; *she's*
not like that, but we knew quite a few other hs parents who were.)

Pugs are a toy breed, and they do have some special needs
wrt their snub nose, but they are not bubble dogs! They are rough-and-
tumble little guys with a heart of gold.

I *like* Pugs. There are quite a few of them that come to the park we
(both Dani and I) exercise our dogs in, and they're cool little dogs- if you
TREAT them like dogs. As a matter of fact, I often suggest Pugs to people
who like Rocsi's outgoing personality & her small size, but aren't up to the
energy level and prey drive of a JRT. Rocsi, btw, *really* likes Pugs and
gets along with them well.

Good! I really hope this puppy works out for her, as a Pug is a wonderful
enhancement to anyone's life. Again, tho, tell her to be careful as it
sounds like maybe there are some immune issues with this breeder's dogs.

I'll mention it to her- she's a nurse, so she understands that sort of
issue. G

And tell her to treat it like a dog, fercryingoutloud!

No fear! If the deal goes through, the pup will be playing with and meeting
my guys, maybe going to Janet Boss' PK, and definitely will be coming up to
the park as soon as she's had enough of her shots.

Oh, and Pugs are notoriously hard to housetrain. She may need
some bellybands.

Ah- good idea.