Cockapoo

Old November 18th 03, 06:15 AM
shwaunee

Default Cockapoo

I am looking to adopt a baby purebred Cockapoo. I am located in the Nj
area. If you have any info, please email me at

jon
Old November 18th 03, 06:23 AM
Rocky

shwaunee said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I am looking to adopt a baby purebred Cockapoo. I am
located in the Nj area.

There's nothing special about a "Cockapoo" that you won't find
in any other mixed breed dog. Check your shelter or
http://www.petfinder.org/ for Poodle mixes.

Old November 18th 03, 07:19 AM

On 17 Nov 2003 22:15:33 -0800 shwaunee whittled these words:
I am looking to adopt a baby purebred Cockapoo. I am located in the Nj
area. If you have any info, please email me at

There are not any purebred Cockapoos. The name comes from Cocker + Poodle
because it is a mix of these two breeds. The mix is at its most
predictable in the first generation crossing - i.e. purebred poodle to
purebred cocker spaniel. Unfortunately the quality of the purebreds used
to make the mix is often not so good which detracts quite a bit from the
predicable qualities. Two cockapoos might be as similar to each other as
some
purebreds, or they might be quite a bit different from each other.
Temperament, coat type and size tends to vary, especially if a mix is bred
to another mix e.g. Cockapoo to Cockapoo or Cockapoo to Cocker Spaniel or
Cockapoo to Poodle. It is a common mix and so it is common to consider
that mix as if it were a breed.

Whether it is, or is not, a "breed" is really irrelevant to me. What I
care about is the care a breeder takes to create puppies that people can
predict the needs of - size, coat, temperament and health. I care that
breeders know enough about canine genetics to understand that they not
only need to know about the health of the parents and grandparents (and
aunts, uncles, siblings and cousins) but also the need to find out how the
puppies are turning out - suffering allergies? a funny way of running? a
bit snappish? So what I want is a breeder who knows the pedigree and
follows up on the puppies. And I want a breeder who does their best to
ensure that the puppies they produce never end up in a shelter, and that
those puppies don't produce MORE puppies unless the same degree of care
and concern is taken. This job of the breeder is made much more difficult
in the mixed breed, but theoretically it is possible. Unfortnunately in
practice most creators of mixed breeds are more interested in the dollars
than on the health and best interests of the puppies they create.

It seems to me if you pay money to a breeder you will encourage the type
of breeding they do. Personally I'm sick and tired of all the dogs in the
pound and I wouldn't want a single dime of my money to go to the kind of
breeder who let's their dogs end up in a shelter, or the kind of breeder
who doesn't bother to reduce the risk of genetic diseases. You probably
can find a purebred poodle breeder who knows how to avoid genetic disease,
and you can probably find a cocker spaniel breeder who knows how to avoid
genetic disease. I doubt you will find a cockapoo breeder who tries to
avoid genetic disease AND who cares about the future of the puppies they
create. If you like mixed breeds, as I do, you can find them in shelters
and rescues. If the qualities of the dog e.g. coat type, size,
temperament, are important to you then you are most likley to get what you
want if you start with a young adult 18 months old or older.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2270815
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2266881
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2202432
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2058675
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2259813
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2207513
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2272257

There isn't a big difference whether you start with a tiny puppy or an
older one, except there are fewer surprises with the older one. In both
you will likely get the adolescent rebellious stage - or maybe mostly skip
it if you have an older dog.

Diane BLackman
http://www.dog-play.com/
Old November 21st 03, 09:01 PM
EGD

"KenSanLu" wrote in message
Just reading this. I have a Cock A Poo and it is a mixed breed dog and

not
a purebred. It is a mix of a Cocker Spanial and a Poodle. Some will take
on the Cocker traits and others more poodle. As a groomer I have seen

both
exstreams.

And most of them have very difficult coats to deal with.
EGD

---

Old November 21st 03, 09:36 PM
KenSanLu

|| And most of them have very difficult coats to deal with.
| EGD

Very true about the coats and unfortunatly the health problems I've noticed
in many that come in to be groomed. The only reason I have a cockapoo is
that a client couldn't keep the dog and asked if I would adopt him and the
dog loves my daughter and will do anything for her so he got to stay. No
regrets on adopting him, he's a great dog, but I for one wouldn't pay big
buck to someone trying to pass the breed off as a purebred. I have nothing
against mixed breed dogs. My husband has a healer mix that is also a great
dog though I myself have purebreds, a St. Poodle, a Doberman, and Shiba Inu
that I show.
SP

Old November 22nd 03, 02:25 PM
Sionnach

Very true about the coats and unfortunatly the health problems I've

noticed
in many that come in to be groomed.

Yep. Both Cockers and the smaller Poodles have been very popular for
decades, which means that sadly, there are a heck of a lot of poorly bred
ones out there - poorly bred in the sense that the breeders didn't pay much
attention to the health of the dogs.
Then, there's the factor that Cockerpoos are bred exclusively for the pet
market- IOW primarily by BYBs and puppymillers- and the odds go up that the
dogs used to produce the puppies will be poorly or carelessly bred.

Combine the higher probability of genetic health issues in *both* breeds
with the higher probability of poorly chosen and/or inadequately health
screened parents, and the odds go way up that Cockerpoos will have genetic
health issues. :-(