Off the leash! Yay!

Old August 23rd 03, 01:17 AM
Chris Williams

Default Off the leash! Yay!

Wish ya'll were ere, too!
Laura and Angel
Laura Arlov

Sounds wonderful, Laura. (what's with the 'ya"ll' ..... are you from
_southern Norway? yuk, yuk.)
I didn't know about, but highly approve of, Norway's law. Despite its
clumsiness.
There should be something like it everywhere. I face a dilemma every
year. My dogs, at 'Stay close'. will walk within a leash distance, so I
take them to a lake where there are nesting shore birds off leash. Yet,
I assail anyone else who does.
Having perfect dogs makes you _such a hypocrite.

Just because humans are slow and can't smell or hear
very well doesn't mean they don't possess a primitive
type of intelligence.

Old August 23rd 03, 01:40 AM
Chris Williams

so I take them to a lake where there are
nesting shore birds off leash.

Yes, the birds are off leash, too.
How come your English is better than mine, Laura?

Old August 23rd 03, 01:54 AM
212michael

glad I don't live in Norway.

I do that year round.

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

Laura Arlov wrote:

Angel the Airedale and I just want to share our pleasure

It's after August 20th!!!! YAY!!

Norway's basic leash law requires that dogs shall be
leashed "to spare wear and tear on new born game animals" from
1 April to 20 August.

In spite of the stated purpose, the law applies everywhere,
including in the city. Go figure.

But at this lovely time of year we can legally go on
delightful off-leash walks, though I am of course responsible
for keeping Angel out of trouble! (And municipalities are
allowed to make additional leash ordinances, but Oslo is pretty
cool - leash laws in center city, but not out here in suburbs.)

Boy, do we love the woods at this season. And the big park.
But I have to leash her when we walk in the nighborhood:
hunting for rats/cats along neighbor's foundations and in their
bushes is just toooooo tempting. And she hasn't got a lot
of traffic sense, since she's always leashed along roads...

But look out woods, here we come! I love to see her
bounding from one boulder to another and zipping through
the blueberry bushes.

Wish ya'll were ere, too!

Laura and Angel

Old August 23rd 03, 01:54 AM
212michael

glad I don't live in Norway.

I do that year round.

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

Old August 25th 03, 07:31 AM
Laura Arlov

"Chris Williams" wrote

Have you seen a list of the equivalents for 'bow-wow' and 'meow' in
various languages? Fascinating. What's 'bow-wow' in Norwegian?
What happens when you're thinking in English and someone addresses you
in Norwegian? (I admired the genius of Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice'
-- those little pauses while she translated in her head.)

bow-wow in Norwegian is voff-voff

What happens when someone addresses me in Norwegian is
usually that I switch to thinking and talking in Norwegian. But
not always...since I switch so easily, I also easily (accidentally)
switch back...often changing languages without noticing it
when I come to a concept that doesn't have a good translation -
or for which I don't know the translation. It goes both ways -
I'll be humming along in English and come to an essentially
Norwegian concept, say the Norwegian word, and continue in
Norwegian. Or vice versa.

"Sludd" and sleet is a god example. While sleet is really icy rain,
the closest Norwegian equivalent "sludd" means very, very wet
snow. (If it's gray, it's sleet, and if it's whitish, it's "sludd")

And my husband and son are both bilingual, so it sometimes
we say: "we don't speak two language heres, we just have one
very, very big vocabulary."