I Got Bitten Today

Old August 23rd 03, 02:25 PM
212michael

Leah wrote:
"Sionnach" wrote:
I'm willing to bet that an experienced observer - somebody standing back
and watching this incident- could clearly have read the dog's intent
*before* it lunged. Perhaps if YOU had paid some attention to this
particular dog- instead of focussing on the BC puppy & not paying any
attention to the dog who was close to you - you might have had some warning
that she was going to bite.

Oh, no doubt! However, when you're walking in a store crowded with dogs and
people, you would need more than one set of eyes to be able to monitor them
all. :}

I'm sure I somehow startled her and threatened her. I move and walk quickly.
I was far enough away from her that when I stepped back, I was out of her leash
range (though I wasn't fast enough to escape teeth altogether).

Here's what I think happened, in her eyes. A person suddenly appeared too
close to her space, and she gave a warning growl. At the sound of the growl, I
turned to look at where it was coming from. She took that split-second of eye
contact as a threat.

So I guess I did learn something. If I hear a growl next to me, MOVE AWAY.
Don't waste time trying to find out who's growling. :}

Hello Leah,

Hello Fans,

Here is a quote from the sharpest mind in the dog game (aka, mine)

(can I have a drum roll please?)

"Most dog bites occur because
of too much aggression. By the Human.

Too aggressive in their assumptions.
Too aggressive in their play.
Too aggressive in their discipline.
Too aggressive in their approach.
Too aggressive in their grooming.
Too hasty, too busy, in too much of a hurry, etc, etc..."

michael patton
ceo of dogtv.com networks

the reason you got bit (as with the reason you always get bit) are right
there above.

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

Hello again fans,

anytime a trainer tells you they've been bit dozens or hundreds of times
and that it's "part of the job" it means you have hired a moron who will
manhandle your dog and cause the bites, and then probably beat or choke
the crap out of your dog to "cure" the biting.

BWHAHAHAAAHHAHAHAAAA!!!!

But even these Koehler Nazis like Handsome JerkOff Morrison are better
than somebody like Tara O. who killed her dog BEFORE it ever bit anyone.

BWHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old August 23rd 03, 03:19 PM
Sionnach

Oh, no doubt! However, when you're walking in a store crowded with dogs

and
people, you would need more than one set of eyes to be able to monitor

them
all. :}

Very true - and to clarify, my comment was intented as *contructive*
criticism, not any sort of put-down. IOW, not saying you *should* have done
something different, just "hmm, this was most likely part of it". :-)
One of my agility classmates got bitten in a similar way- she walked
close behind someone sitting with a calm-appearing dog lying next to the
chair, and he lunged and bit her in the back of the leg.

I'm sure I somehow startled her and threatened her.

Well.... if she's *fear* aggressive, maybe. If she's territorial,
protective, and/or dominant, it could also be that she wanted you out of
what she thought was her territory, or thought you were a threat to her
owners.

I move and walk quickly.

Given that the dog in question is an Aussie- a dog bred to be reactive to
movement, and have instincts to control it- it's highly likely IMO that your
quick movements were part of the equation.

Old August 23rd 03, 04:52 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Sionnach" wrote in message

Oh, no doubt! However, when you're walking in a store crowded with dogs

and
people, you would need more than one set of eyes to be able to monitor

them
all. :}

Very true - and to clarify, my comment was intented as *contructive*
criticism, not any sort of put-down. IOW, not saying you *should* have

done
something different, just "hmm, this was most likely part of it". :-)
One of my agility classmates got bitten in a similar way- she walked
close behind someone sitting with a calm-appearing dog lying next to the
chair, and he lunged and bit her in the back of the leg.

That's the whole point of my long-winded story previously posted (
the BC bitch & Bodhi playing). Observations, and what I learned
that day, sort of thing!

I move and walk quickly.

Given that the dog in question is an Aussie- a dog bred to be reactive

movement, and have instincts to control it- it's highly likely IMO that

your
quick movements were part of the equation.

Having one of those kind of dogs, I tend to agree here.
People said, "Belgians are a very reactive and alert breed."
Even spending a great deal of time with several didn't prepare
me for living with one on a daily basis. But, on the whole, I guess
it's a good thing, in turn I've raised my own level of awareness
about my dogs and surroundings. Bodhi is a softie in the
protective business, but lightening quick to react to something
around him (he can do a full-body flip around in quicker than
the blink of an eye if some dog's nose surprises him).
Shelly & The Boys

I Got Bitten Today darrz Dog rescue 2 September 17th 03 08:36 AM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 114 September 9th 03 01:51 PM
I Got Bitten Today Lynn K (my life as a dog murderer) _michael___michael Dog rescue 0 September 3rd 03 04:00 PM