Husky escape artist

Old August 24th 03, 01:17 PM
Han Solo

Default Husky escape artist

Hi. My Siberian Husky, Schamali, enjoys going on walks to the park
so much
that, when I leave the house, she decides to go to the park without me.
I just
raised the height of my fence to 6 feet, but she can jump over that, too
(its rather
impressive to watch, she jumps and holds onto the top of the fence, and
then
pushes herself the rest of the way over).
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what I can do to
convince her
that she's safer at home, and not wandering the neighborhood. I guess
my next
steps for physical containment might be an electric wire on top of the
fence, or maybe barbed wire. But I don't want my house to look like a
prison, particularly.
The other options are behavioral, if I could catch her in the act my
admonitions
might do some good. However, there's no evidence that this would
actually stop
her, not to mention that she's to smart to do it while I'm watching
(unless baited).
Do any of you have an idea of what I might do to keep my Husky safe
and in the
yard instead of wandering the streets?

- Jason Barnes

Old August 24th 03, 02:32 PM
Laura Arlov

"Han Solo" (Jason Barnes) wrote:

I just
raised the height of my fence to 6 feet, but she can jump over that, too
(its rather
impressive to watch, she jumps and holds onto the top of the fence, and
then
pushes herself the rest of the way over).

Hmm. She sounds like an impressive dog!

I don't have any relevant behavioral experience,
but I have some alternatives to barbed wire on the fence:

I'm thinking dry moat on the inside if the
fence, like they have in zoos
so that the fence doesn't have to be so massive.
But that might be prohibitively expensive.

Is there an alternate way to construct the fence so that
it is not so "climable"?

I'm thinking that the top foot might tilt in, so that when she
"grabs" the top, she can't make contact woth the fence with her back
paws to push herself up?Or perhaps a smoothly rotating
bar on top, so she can't get a grip?
It might even look reasonably decorative?

Good luck!
Laura Arlov

Old August 24th 03, 03:54 PM
Siberx

Hello,

Han Solo wrote:

[...]

The Siberian Husky escaping is normal, but teach here to stay at home will be
verry dificult.
Thats the way a Siberian Husky will be.
They are verry curious and that makes things dificult for us.
I think that what Laura say will be the best solution.
I didn understand verry expliciet because off my poor in English.
I have several Siberian Husky's en i end whit making it like Laura sayd.
The top go inside

--
Siberx

Old August 24th 03, 07:27 PM
Rocky

Han Solo said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what I can do to
convince her
that she's safer at home, and not wandering the neighborhood.

From what you've described, she's not really "home". Home is
where all of the smells associated with her pack are. You're in
Arizona - wouldn't she be more comfortable inside during the
day?

Old August 24th 03, 09:18 PM
Han Solo

Han Solo said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what I can do to
convince her
that she's safer at home, and not wandering the neighborhood.

From what you've described, she's not really "home". Home is
where all of the smells associated with her pack are. You're in
Arizona - wouldn't she be more comfortable inside during the
day

She and her two housemates, a mutt and a miniature poodle, have a
dog door
and are able to move freely between inside and the back yard whenever
they want.
My Husky clearly knows where home is and enjoys being there, because
when she
jumps the fence and takes off she shows up on the porch a half an hour
later once
she's through exploring and wants some water and a nap. I encourage
this behavior
by showering her with praise when she returns, and that seems to be
working at
least. Huskies are inherently escape artists, I read -- perhaps there's
nothing
short of physical barriers that will work to contain her.

- Jason

Old August 24th 03, 09:49 PM
Rocky

Han Solo said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I encourage
this behavior
by showering her with praise when she returns, and that
seems to be working at
least. Huskies are inherently escape artists, I read --
perhaps there's nothing
short of physical barriers that will work to contain her.

You might find that once you stop her from going over, she'll
find a way to go under or through. The only way to safely
contain her might be to close up the dog door.