Now it's *really* way too quiet

Old August 25th 03, 01:05 AM
Kevin Michael Vail

Default Now it's *really* way too quiet

Last night, Fidget threw up just before bedtime, and since then has
refused to eat anything... I couldn't even get him to take his pills
this morning. David came home about noon, and Fidget was very glad to
see him, but wouldn't take any sort of treat. We decided to take him
down to the emergency vet we took Toby to, because they have more kinds
of diagnostic equipment and his regular vets are at a total loss. The
internist we really like is down there, and it's possible he'll see
Fidget tomorrow rather than waiting until Wednesday, which is the
earliest we could get a real appointment.

I'm glad we did. The vet we talked to today pointed out, among other
things, that there is a known drug interaction between theophylline and
Baytril, both of which Fidget is taking. They're not supposed to be
given together without monitoring the theophylline levels, which hasn't
been done (never even been suggested). She reviews the part of his file
which the regular vet faxed down (the whole thing is 60 pages, so they
only faxed the most-recent 17 or so) and said that what she would do is
take him off all of his medications, because she doesn't think he
actually needs them...adding that they can always be added back if the
necessity does arise. None of the conditions he's taking the meds for
are life-threatening, so she makes sense.

She also pointed out that he is not in any immediate danger (he's lost
three pounds in the past few weeks, but she said "you should see some of
the skeletons we get in here from time to time--*there's* something to
worry about") and, although the not-eating thing does have to be
addressed, David and I don't need to be worrying about Fidget dying from
this. Which is a big relief right there.

She also doesn't think adhesions from his big surgery are an issue,
since they tend to show up and cause problems right after surgery, not
four years later. Since his regular vets were basically throwing up
their hands for lack of anything else to test for, and were recommending
exploratory surgery, this was also a big relief.

They're keeping Fidget at least until tomorrow, giving him IV fluids
since he hasn't eaten. He will have new X-rays today and an ultrasound
either tomorrow or Tuesday, and she was going to draw blood tonight
before starting the fluids so that it will be available for any tests
the doctor decides to run tomorrow.

They let us in to say goodnight to him. He's not thrilled to be there,
and we aren't thrilled to have to have him there, either. But this is
the first step to getting our real Fidget back, the one who is so
enthusiastic about getting his dinner that he aroooooooooos while we're
putting it together.

But of course now the house is completely silent except for the noises
we make ourselves. That's too quiet.
--
Kevin Michael Vail | Dogbert: That's circular reasoning.
http://www.vaildc.net/kevin/
Old August 25th 03, 01:42 AM
Shelley

I am so sorry that Fidget is having to stay there tonight. The news from
the vet sounded promising, though, and I hope that although it takes you
away from him for a night or two, it brings back the Fidget that you knew
before all of this started happening. I'll be thinking of all three of you
and look forward to happy updates in the coming days.

--
Shelley & Rusty
http://www.bump.us/rusty

Old August 25th 03, 01:42 AM
Shelley

Old August 25th 03, 05:57 AM

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:05:30 -0400 Kevin Michael Vail whittled these words:

Arrgh - sounds like another one of those bad news - good news - bad news
light and shadow sitations. I want to wake up in the morning and hear
good news - no more, I'm sure, than you do.

I'll keep you all in my thoughts.

Diane Blackman

Old August 25th 03, 01:51 PM
montana

Kevin Michael Vail wrote:

But of course now the house is completely silent except for the noises
we make ourselves. That's too quiet.

AAAK! I'll say! It would make sense to take him off his meds & then see
what he needs after the drugs leave his system. I'd call the regular vet
and discuss what the emergency vet said about the potential of the drug
interaction causing Fidget's problems.

You and David have certainly been through the ringer. I hope Fidget
comes home a.s.a.p. and begins to feel better very soon. Hope you are
also feeling better. This has to be so very emotionally & physically
draining. Our pack sends their best...