Warning about Dog Trainer

Old August 26th 03, 08:12 PM
Gwen Watson

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:00:35 -0500, shelly
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:27:42 GMT, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

But Leah has her own way of doing things, and that's
what she's going with.

the thought of her showing others how to use a tool that she does not
herself know how to properly use makes me cringe. when i read her
description of fitting prong collars, my jaw dropped.

sigh

oye.

I think PetSmart deserves at least part of the blame. Imagine the
damage that can be done if every PetSmart trainer "had her/his own way
of doing things," and they were just like Leah's?

shudder

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply via e-mail

Unfortunately I *think* that is the case with *many* Pets Mart's.

Not all of course or the vast majority but enough.

Gwen

Old August 27th 03, 02:29 AM
DogStar716

I think PetSmart deserves at least part of the blame. Imagine the
damage that can be done if every PetSmart trainer "had her/his own way
of doing things," and they were just like Leah's?

shudder

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply via e-mail

Unfortunately I *think* that is the case with *many* Pets Mart's.

Not all of course or the vast majority but enough.

True 'dat!

Dogstar716
Come see Gunnars Life: http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/index.html

Old August 27th 03, 04:00 PM

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Leah wrote:

Wouldn't they??? Please 'splain. I know I'm missing
something. :}

you are. you *really* need to be shown *in person* how to
properly fit a prong collar. and, until you know what you're
doing, *please* don't fit them on other people's dogs.

I normally adjust the collar so that, at its tightest, it's
snug but not choking.

how can you do that if it is loose enough to slip over the
dog's head? also, it should never "choke" the dog (that's
the whole point of a prong collar).

It sounds like you and Jack are saying that it should be at
that point when at its loosest.

it should fit high on the neck and snugly, but not so tightly
that the prongs dig in.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette