Alaska State Fair - Tok's agility debut....outside...and fires.

Old August 25th 03, 06:47 AM
Child

Default Alaska State Fair - Tok's agility debut....outside...and fires.

Two years ago Kavik made his outdoor agility debut at our clubs state fair
demo. I remember reporting to folks here about it and getting excellent
advice.

This year it was Toklats turn. I was very worried about control and recall
issues. The corral is fenced but its made for horses - dogs can go right
through.

Luckily, I worried for nothing - while Tok wasn't perfect, he did listen
well and came whenever called, right away. He did miss a couple of jumps,
but thats ok - it was his first time with an audience and his first time
outdoors. I expected much worse. He did very well in the relay race,
making up a great deal of time for some other dogs. He does run very close
to me, which might be my doing as I got freaked out every time he got ahead
of me. Next time I will be less freaked out and work more on handling him
properly. This time the goal was no zoomies or running off and he did great
at succeeding at those two goals.

He also did great with the spectators. His coat is coming in finally, and
he is fluffy and adorable. Several people wanted to know where to get one.
I gave them my phone number. There is alot to discuss before they should
get a kees. like Barking. He did bark at first- in frustration and
excitement, but quickly he settled down. He did fidget and need alot of
attention to keep him focused but thats ok, he will settle down as he gets
to do more outdoors stuff.

One thing that was neat- the delta pet partners gal was parked right next to
me and when she returned to her car she saw several kids with their hands in
my car, petting tok. She was horrified, but noticed that tok seemed
perfectly happy to be petted. When she told me I said "stupid kids, but he
is fine with that" she told me she had seen how he was perfectly fine with
that and how suprised she was. I explained that keeshond are supposed to be
pretty non-aggressive and that Tok appeared to be a total pacifist. She was
impressed and said she is looking forward to having him in the pet partners
program.

On another, more interesting note: my office had a very bad fire on
saturday. According to this article
( http://www.adn.com/front/story/3752851p-3780585c.html)
the building will be inhabitable on monday however, the building manager
said 3-4 months. EEK. Luckily a fireman saved my file server backup tape.
My hero