The joy of a middle-aged dog

Old August 27th 03, 06:35 PM
Chris Williams

Default The joy of a middle-aged dog

Mac is 7, and his activities are a bit curtailed by the onset of
arthritis, but, oh, the communication one develops with a dog in that
time.
On our morning procession through a wooded area, Mac 20 yards ahead,
Pip, the Maltese, 20 yards behind, I glanced around to check on Pip. A
hawk was flying from tree to tree above him. I was assured here that
hawks can't carry off a 10lb dog; I'm not sure this one read that. Not
wanting to startle him, I whispered, "Mac" and raised my little finger
in a cue unknown to Mac nor anyone else. Mac immediately took in the
situation, dropped back and finished the walk by Pip's side.
The hawk continued to follow us until he was driven away by ....... a
hummingbird!
The nesting season must be over; I don't know what the hawk did to
offend him, but the little guy was vicious.

Just because humans are slow and can't smell or hear
very well doesn't mean they don't possess a primitive
type of intelligence.

Old August 28th 03, 11:01 AM
Chris Jung

"Chris Williams" wrote in message
Mac is 7, and his activities are a bit curtailed by the onset of
arthritis, but, oh, the communication one develops with a dog in that
time.
On our morning procession through a wooded area, Mac 20 yards ahead,
Pip, the Maltese, 20 yards behind, I glanced around to check on Pip. A
hawk was flying from tree to tree above him. I was assured here that
hawks can't carry off a 10lb dog; I'm not sure this one read that. Not
wanting to startle him, I whispered, "Mac" and raised my little finger
in a cue unknown to Mac nor anyone else. Mac immediately took in the
situation, dropped back and finished the walk by Pip's side.
The hawk continued to follow us until he was driven away by ....... a
hummingbird!
The nesting season must be over; I don't know what the hawk did to
offend him, but the little guy was vicious.

I know what you mean. Pablo isn't quite middle aged (he's 6) and is pretty
fit (we trail jog nearly every morning). He's a lean, mean (snort), pointy
nosed machine. But we have reached that perfect place in our relationship
where we don't need to talk explicitly in broad gestures to understand each
other. Instead it's almost like we don't need to talk at all. He looks at
me a certain way, I know what he means. I give him a slight gesture and he
understands what I want.

The only problem with our tight bond is that it sometimes doesn't make room
for others. First a teeny bit of background. We brought our son, Soren,
home from the hospital (at three days old) right on Pablo's first birthday.
So the family story is that Soren is Pablo's bestest birthday present thus
Soren and Pablo "belong" to each other. Pablo adores Soren but watches me
99% of the time. Soren is kind, gentle kid but would love it if "his dog"
would focus on him sometime. I'm having him feed Pablo and we're doing some
games where Soren hides with a treat and Pablo finds him. Unfortunately
Pablo and I have had 6 years of forming this tight bond and I think he'll
always be "my dog" (don't tell Soren). I don't see a solution to the
Soren-Pablo "problem" but within 5 to 9 months, we'll be adding another
smooth collie girl to our family. I suspect, with what I can see of Soren's
personality and blossoming talent with animals, that he might have "his dog"
at last (I hope he'll share! ;-)).

Chris and her smoothies
Queen Zeffie - on the mend and Pablo

Old August 28th 03, 01:37 PM
Chris Williams

we have reached that perfect place in
our relationship where we don't need to
talk explicitly in broad gestures to
understand each other. Instead it's
almost like we don't need to talk at all.
He looks at me a certain way, I know
what he means. I give him a slight
gesture and he understands what I
want.

That's _exactly what I mean. Like a good marriage, isn't it?
The only problem with our tight bond is
that it sometimes doesn't make room for
others.

Does it give you a problem with dogs, too? One just passed through
the shelter I would love to have. 10 months old, hugely intelligent and
responsive, a Mac waiting to happen. Killed me to let him go, but I'm
not sure one can have two such relationships at the same time. I am
_not a slut.

Old August 28th 03, 09:58 PM
Mike D

Provide actual STUDIES and DATA from ANYTHING...you cant.

snip ridiculous crossposting and crap
Old August 28th 03, 09:58 PM
Mike D