Right dog, wrong lifetime

Old August 27th 03, 09:32 PM
Lone Hansen

Default Right dog, wrong lifetime

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message

- Snip.

Have you ever met the perfect dog for you, but it was just too late?

--

- Melanie, nothing is ever too late A happy little dog that would be
a good "public" dog going to school and visiting friends with you, happy to

Lone

Old August 27th 03, 10:33 PM
Robin Nuttall

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message

Have you ever met the perfect dog for you, but it was just too late?

I don't think I could say "too late." Instead, maybe I'd say the perfect dog
for who I was, not who I am.

I've been offered that perfect dog more than once--the great conformation
dog who could easily finish a championship and who might get an obedience
title or two. But I'm no longer interested in that dog. I'm certainly
interested in good structure, and having a dog who can finish a Ch is nice.
But temperament and health are now much more important to me than attaining
a Best in Show. No way could I go back to one of those low drive couch
potato dogs. And I call it progress, not regret, that I don't want that any
more.

Old August 28th 03, 12:52 AM
Christy

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message

Have you ever met the perfect dog for you, but it was just too late?

Too late, no, because that would have meant I wouldn't have one of the dogs
I have now - but too early, yes. Wylie's breeder had a litter out of his
grandmother earlier this year and in it was the exact puppy I had wanted
when I put my order in with her in 2001. A little brown girl. She came to
visit at the age of 10 weeks and thought she belonged here - chasing my boys
around the yard like she owned the place, falling in the koi pond and then
going back to investigate it again (and falling in again!!) - just a little
spitfire with energy and confidence for days. But the timing was all wrong -
three dogs is enough for me - with two active in classes and trialling, I
have to work to make sure all three get the right amount of individual
attention and training. A fourth would mean the other three would get
proportionally less time, and that wouldn't be fair, especially with Wylie
being just a bit over a year old at the time. I was sorely tempted but I
knew I had to do what was best and not give in to the temptation. I'm glad
that little girl wasn't in the litter and Wylie was, because I wouldn't
trade him for the world, but I do wonder if I'll get the chance to get that
perfect little monkey girl again...

Christy

Old August 28th 03, 03:42 AM
Leah

(Melanie L Chang) wrote:
Have you ever met the perfect dog for you, but it was just too late?

I used to do volunteer work at a private shelter. This guy was 65 years old
when he started taking in a few stray dogs. 10 years later, he had 135 dogs
and worked from 5:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m., 7 days a week. He had a pretty good
set-up, and his dogs were well taken-care of.

Out of these 135 dogs, Sheba would always find her way into my lap. I didn't
know what kind of dog she was then, but I know now she was a pit bull. I
connected with her immediately. She was beautiful, with a white face and a
black circle around one eye.

When I'd drive up and all the dogs were outside, I would meet her eyes
instantly. I never had to look for her. She would draw me to her with her
gaze. Quietly. Just standing there, admist 134 other raucous dogs.

I had a foster at the time, and she was recovering from a recent litter of
puppies and needed to be spayed. So I had to wait a while to take her home,
but I knew she was coming to live with me.

She somehow dug out of the fence (the only dog who ever managed it in 10 years,
though several dogs had somehow gotten IN), and got hit by a car and killed.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.