Teaching a 2 yr old to heel...

Old August 28th 03, 11:41 PM
Stuart Friedman

Default Teaching a 2 yr old to heel...

She is a Brittany, "rescued" from a family that had her in a small fenced
yard. When I walk her in the woods, she really strains the leash, although
over the 5 days I have had her, she does seem to be learning (Woodhouse
method). It seems she is so distracted by all the smells that it is hard for
her to stay focused.

Also, it is recommended that you spend 10 minute sessions, if so what do I
do on the rest fo the 45 minute walks she gets, do I ignore it when she
doesn't heel?

Stuart Friedman
East Montpelier, VT

Old September 1st 03, 12:02 PM
CAFFE COOP

She is a Brittany, "rescued" from a family that had her in a small fenced
yard. When I walk her in the woods, she really strains the leash, although
over the 5 days I have had her, she does seem to be learning (Woodhouse

I have two rescue Brittanys so I know how they can pull. I would suggest
before working on the leash that she is given plenty of exercise time first.
Most Brittanys have a strong desire t hunt so if you can wear her out a bit
first that will help. I've given up on the whole heeling thing with mine and
am satisfied to walk them without pulling. And that was quite a bit of work.
Brittanys are a very sensitive breed and seem to respond better to positive
training methods, I would try to enroll her into a clicker training class. If
treated too harshly they can become shy.

Enjoy your Britt, they are really fun loving dogs, very clownish, and very
smart.
Janice