OT--Deleting nasty spam

Old August 29th 03, 09:09 AM
Marie

Default OT--Deleting nasty spam

A piece of *really* nasty spam has made it through my spamkiller, and it's
driving me nuts. As soon as it tries to open, it launches a window saying
"to properly view this you need to download the following components." It
*then* immediately opens another window giving the "option" of download
sites (which is a laugh because there is only one option listed). The
second window completely freezes my email (Outlook Express 6.0): I have to
control-alt-delete out of the program.

Unfortunately, this piece of spam is sitting at the top of my inbox, so as
soon as I launched OE it hung. Hubby sent an email to replace the spam in
top-spot, but I can't figure out how to delete it. Tried right-clicking but
it hung before I could get other options.

Any suggestions as to how I can rid my email of this PITA?

Marie
Meet Macula at http://members.rogers.com/mmcw/

Old August 29th 03, 12:57 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"Marie" wrote in news:cTD3b.304202$4UE.273314
@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Any suggestions as to how I can rid my email of this PITA?

Create a filter rule to filter the e-mail to your trash folder. Then, force
the rule to run now on your in-box. Once that is done, you just have to
right click on your trash folder and delete all trash.

Another option (and I don't know if this would work, so try it at your own
risk) is to go to Tools-Options and then pick the read tab. Make sure the
box beside download message automatically when viewed in preview pane is
unchecked. Again, I dont know if this one will work at all, so try at your
own risk.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'As busy as a one-eyed cat watching
two mouse holes.'

Old August 29th 03, 05:51 PM
Rob

Click on the email at the top of the list.

Press and hold the shift key and hit the down arrow on your keyboard. This
will highlight the top message and the one that is giving you trouble.

Now press delete.

When you go into your deleted email folder, do the same thing.

I usually hit Ctrl A which selects all emails, then hit delete.

Rob Kulp

able.rogers.com...

Old August 29th 03, 05:57 PM
Rocky

Marie said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

As soon as it tries to open, it launches a window saying
"to properly view this you need to download the following
components." It *then* immediately opens another window
giving the "option" of download sites (which is a laugh
because there is only one option listed). The second
window completely freezes my email (Outlook Express 6.0):
I have to control-alt-delete out of the program.

I don't know anything about OE, but there's probably a setting
like "don't load images from originating site." That's a
favourite trick of spammers - it lets them know that you've
looked at their email.

Old August 29th 03, 06:10 PM

In article ual.net,
Rocky wrote:
Marie said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:
As soon as it tries to open, it launches a window saying
"to properly view this you need to download the following
components." It *then* immediately opens another window
giving the "option" of download sites (which is a laugh
because there is only one option listed). The second
window completely freezes my email (Outlook Express 6.0):
I have to control-alt-delete out of the program.

I don't know anything about OE, but there's probably a setting
like "don't load images from originating site." That's a
favourite trick of spammers - it lets them know that you've
looked at their email.

It sounds like a DCOM or Active X component rather than an
image, but it's possible that it's something like support
for an alternate character set or something. I'd first make
sure that my version of OE is up-to-date, and then I'd try
disconnecting the computer from the network before firing up
OE. I'd also probably try taking the hostname (say,
foo.bar.com) it's trying to contact and create a loopback
entry in the hosts.sam or whatever file:

foo.bar.com 127.0.0.1

Wait, that's not true. The first thing I'd do is find some
other mailer (say, the free version of Eudora) and import my
OE mail into it.

Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?

Old August 29th 03, 06:30 PM

In article ual.net,
Rocky wrote:
Exactly. I've never used OE and gave up on the various flavours
of mozilla last year. I'm really liking Pegasus.

I'm really liking my spanking new Macintosh PowerBook.
Neener.

Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?