HELP! I have a Lab who thinks she's satan!

Old August 29th 03, 08:00 PM
BlueBombersRule!!

Default HELP! I have a Lab who thinks she's satan!

Hello,

As mentioned in the subject line, I need help.

We have two puppies (see attached), a 10 month old Louisiana Catahoula
Leopard Dog, and a 5 month old Black Lab. Since we brought home the
Catahoula, she was always very obnoxious (as anyone who knows the breed will
confirm.) We adopted the Lab in June, so that the Catahoula could have a
sister/friend.

The Catahoula was purchased from the breeders, whereas the Lab was adopted
from the humane society when she was 2 months old. She along with 4 other
litter mates, were found along the highway in Northern Manitoba (Canada).

The Lab came with an attitude. She's extremely bossy, and doesn't like
taking "no" for an answer. She is an angel when she is alone with is, but
when the Catahoula is around, she's the devil. She likes to show the
Catahoula that she's boss. The Catahoula allows her to.

At first, the Catahoula didn't know what to think of the new puppy, who was
a fraction of her size. She would sneak up to her, and paw at her. This
stopped after the first day or so. Then came the playing. The Catahoula
likes to play fetch, and tag, and run around the yard. The lab on the other
hand, likes to chase the Catahoula, biting her, and hanging off of her at
all times. I thought this was normal, so allowed it.

Now it's gotten much much worse. She is now growling and snarling while
biting and hanging off of the Catahoula's face, and ears. I found a gouge
in the Catahoula's face the other day, right above her eye.

I have had the Catahoula in obedience school, and am planning on enrolling
them both again, come fall.

Is this normal behavior for the dogs? Should I leave them be, or stop the
Lab from doing this? Any advise would certainly help.

Problem number 2.

We live in the city, and have a fair size yard. The dogs are outside
playing most of the day. They just started to realize that they love to eat
wood. They have started to gnaw on the wooden fence posts. They have
completely demolished and eaten their dog house I built for them. They have
practically torn down the apple tree in the back yard. I know that pressure
treated wood is not good for them, and would like to stop them from doing
this.

Short of removing all wooden objects in the backyard (fence, deck, stairs,
trees, dog house, etc.), what can I do? Spread bitter lime paste
everywhere? I can't be with them all the time, so I don't know how to train
them not to do this.

Please help,

Marc Zynoberg

Old August 29th 03, 08:33 PM
Child

"BlueBombersRule!!" wrote in
. ca:

I have had the Catahoula in obedience school, and am planning on
enrolling them both again, come fall.

Enroll the lab NOW.

Is this normal behavior for the dogs? Should I leave them be, or stop
the Lab from doing this? Any advise would certainly help.

Stop the lab from doing that. The Catahoula sounds far too tolerant. When the lab gets
overstimulated and starts acting like a freak, try a time out in a crate. When she plays
nicely, leave her be.

Short of removing all wooden objects in the backyard (fence, deck,
stairs, trees, dog house, etc.), what can I do? Spread bitter lime
paste everywhere? I can't be with them all the time, so I don't know
how to train them not to do this.

Keep them inside or supervise them outside.

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK

It's YOUR God.
They are YOUR rules.
YOU burn in hell.

Old August 29th 03, 10:13 PM
Pat

Hi,
You are or should be leader of that pack.
DO NOT allow it.... use the word NO in a meaningful way.
So the dog knows you mean it.

There is always a dominant one whether it be dog or human.
So you put them as equal and you are the master.
All will be ok if you stop the bullying.
Good luck.
Pat.

. ca...

Old August 30th 03, 01:12 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:00:29 GMT, "BlueBombersRule!!"
wrote:

Hello,

As mentioned in the subject line, I need help.

I would stop the play, ignore the puppy and act all concerned for the
welfare of the Catahoula when you observe this. Allow the puppy to
observe this reaction consistently, and maybe it will learn something.

Charlie

Old September 4th 03, 10:07 PM
Mike D

"Pat" wrote in message ...
How do you make that out then.
How do they do that.(use it against you I mean)
No said in a meaningful voice they know where they stand.
Pat.

Mental midget Jerry has no clue what he's talking about. Don't bother
asking him questions, you wont get an answer.
Old September 4th 03, 10:07 PM
Mike D

"Pat" wrote in message ...
How do you make that out then.
How do they do that.(use it against you I mean)
No said in a meaningful voice they know where they stand.
Pat.

Mental midget Jerry has no clue what he's talking about. Don't bother
asking him questions, you wont get an answer.

Puppy wizz is Satan Father Ted Crilly Dog health 0 November 2nd 03 10:27 PM
she's baaaack! Deb Dog behavior 1 August 28th 03 07:00 AM
Dachshund....Shes a chewing fool!! Tara O. Dog breeds 1 August 18th 03 12:11 PM
*Alert* horribly abused dogs forced to stay indoors! KWBrown Dog behavior 44 August 8th 03 10:32 PM
The Dog Who Thinks She's A Goat Leah Dog behavior 14 July 19th 03 06:28 AM