I Got Bitten Today

Old August 30th 03, 12:02 AM
Debbie S

Default I Got Bitten Today

Now, come on. How do you expect me to react to that?

Honestly? Direct me to the trial breeders that test eyes, hips, elbows,
that have no epilepsy in their lines, produce dogs of balanced
structure, that can show me agility dogs of their breeding that are
running at the top of the sport well into middle age. Because that's
what I'm looking for. You say the breeder I'm looking at isn't good
enough because she's producing for sport, not herding. shrug Fine.
She _is producing the above. From what everyone _else is telling me,
there isn't a trial/working border collie breeder that can do the same.
If you're saying that there _are these types of breeders in herding
dogs, please point me in their direction. Having a choice would be
wonderful.

Trial dogs are on the whole more selectively bred.

With the above health tests/guarantees?
Or are they selecting on herding attributes first and foremost? Because
I don't need a herding dog. I need an athletic, sound, healthy agility
dog.

A good trial dog should be able to do any job he might encounter on a
ranch, and also have the scope to compete in a trial, which is a
stylized but much more precise demonstration of skills that any good
working dog should have. A ranch dog doesn't have to be able to take
fifteen whistle commands in ten seconds,

Indeed. What you're describing is an agility sport dog with herding
skills. I don't need the herding instinct, but I need and want
everything else.

What does she mean by "proven?"

I'd have to go look. I know what the lower level titles/certificates
are, and there was other stuff after her dogs names that I don't
recognize. I"ve seen lots of Border Collies who are talented in
agility... some are said to be great stock dogs, some are said to have
no talent. shrug If I were looking for an AST, I wouldn't give a
whit whether or not the parents, grandparents, etc. had weight pull or
obedience titles. Doesn't concern me, it's just not relevant. My
Border Collie, if that's what I decide on, will never work sheep. It
will compete in agility, go swimming, track, and help me teach class.

There are, like I said, a lot of farms out there that just put their
sheepdogs together once in a while with no real thought behind the cross
when they want a new puppy, or want a litter for some extra bucks.

Okay, so if the working ranches don't have good dogs, where are the
trial breeders with health tested, proven stock?

Debbie

I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 114 September 9th 03 01:51 PM
I Got Bitten Today Sionnach Dog behavior 4 August 25th 03 02:52 PM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 6 August 25th 03 06:27 AM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 0 August 23rd 03 01:59 PM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 0 August 23rd 03 01:13 AM