Dog and Litter Box

Old August 30th 03, 10:50 PM
Brian Worthey

Default Dog and Litter Box

I have searched the net for solutions to this problem (my dog getting in our
cat's litter box, eating and spreading mess all over the house), and haven't
found anything that works. As of now the litter box is in a closet and is
elevated on a storage bin. I haven't been able to keep the door
opened/closed to a point for the cat to still get in, but keep the dog out.
I"m looking for any suggestions for this.

TIA,

B-Worthey

Old August 30th 03, 11:44 PM
badgirl

baby gate

cat can get over but dog can't

Old August 31st 03, 01:24 AM
badgirl

"sighthounds etc." wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:44:28 GMT, "badgirl"
wrote:

baby gate

cat can get over but dog can't

Or, mount the baby gate 6" or so off the floor, so cat can get under
but dog can't. (Cats will appreciate this if they're getting older

or
are on the heavy side.)

Sally Hennessey

that works too

.. .

Old August 31st 03, 01:43 AM
dejablues

We have the same problem.

However, until recently, we had a senior cat (couldn't climb or scootch
under a gate very well, she was old and arthritic) combined with a young
Jack Russell mix (high jumping, very tenacious, and *extremely* drawn to cat
litter). We ended up using an X-gate that we got at a garage sale (one of
those wooden expandable crosshatch kind of gates that were outlawed due to
being dangerous to small children) The cat could sneak through but the dog
couldn't fit past the shoulders. Now that the old cat has passed on and the
dog is bigger, we use a covered cat pan (bought at WalMart) that faces away
from the wall...the cat can get in, but the dog cannot. If the cat pan gets
moved the least little bit, the dog gets in and I find the remnants of Kitty
Nonpareils in his crate. Ewww!

There is no other option than to make the cat litter inacessible to the dog.
If a dog gets a taste for cat litter, he will do anything and everything to
get it and there is nothing you can you to make him stop.

Old August 31st 03, 02:26 AM
misty

Jumping in here.. I found that feeding my dog a smidge of the cat's food
(whatever gets stuck to the can's lid and sides plus the spoon, rinsed
off onto her dogfood) eliminated her desire to eat cat poo.

Why eat recycled when you get fresh.. I guess.

Catbox.. open and accessible.. dog no longer interested.

~misty ~N~Zelda

Old August 31st 03, 02:32 AM
Countdown to 55

I have searched the net for solutions to this problem (my dog getting in our
cat's litter box, eating and spreading mess all over the house), and haven't
found anything that works. As of now the litter box is in a closet and is

bworthey:
elevated on a storage bin. I haven't been able to keep the door
opened/closed to a point for the cat to still get in, but keep the dog out.
I"m looking for any suggestions for this.

What's the size difference between your cat and dog? Friends of our installed
one of those cat doors (that are generally installed to allow a cat access to
the outside) into the bottom end of a closet door. The size difference between
cat and dog was enough that cat can go thru door, dog can't.

Cat is elderly and doesn't jump much anymore so putting the litter box up on
something wasn't an option for them, nor was putting up a gate that a cat would
jump over.

Cindy