Madigan Amazes Me Again

Old August 31st 03, 02:42 AM
Leah

Default Madigan Amazes Me Again

So my one-dog class didn't show up, and I was there with Madigan. I figured
I'd use the time teaching her a new trick.

I took a box of biscuits off the shelf, got out the clicker (she knows that
means she's going to learn something new), and decided to teach her to knock it
over.

So I tapped on the box, said "Knock it," and prepared to click if she glanced
towards it.

Instead she stared into my eyes. Then she deliberately walked over to the box,
and knocked it over.

Nah. Had to be a coincidence. So I tapped it again, and said "Knock it." She
did it again. Then I grabbed another object, tapped it and said "Knock it."
She did. I practiced with her several more times. She did it every time.
After a while, I didn't have to tap the object. Just pointed to it.

How did she KNOW?????

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old August 31st 03, 03:13 AM
Julia Altshuler

Granted this had a happy ending since Madigan got the new behavior right
away, BUT you're doing clicker training all wrong.

FIRST shape the behavior. Only after Dog is reliably performing
behavior do you add the cue (command). Otherwise, Dog is hearing cue,
not performing behavior and associating cue with no behavior.

In other words, don't start with "knock it." Clicker training is
different in the order of things than other training.

--Lia

Old August 31st 03, 04:44 AM
michael lynn k. ills dogs

you're easily amazed.

michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

Old August 31st 03, 04:44 AM
michael lynn k. ills dogs

you're easily amazed.

michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

Old August 31st 03, 05:12 AM
Humanhere2

BUT you're doing clicker training all wrong.

I disagree.
There is nothing wrong with adding the cue when she did. It worked.

Take care,
Maggie

Old August 31st 03, 09:08 AM
Paul B

"michael lynn k. ills dogs" "michael lynn k. ills
wrote in message ...
you're easily amazed.

michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

Yeah she is and thats nothing, I gave my dog a whole packet of biscuits and
said "eat them all as fast as you can", and he did!! I was really impressed
but thought it was a one off, so I threw it an even bigger packet and dared
it again and blow me down it ate the lot!!! So I threw it a REALLY BIG
packet thinking the dog would be stumped but no way he even ate that
too!!!!!! So there you go!!!

PS Anyone want a 300lb dog?

Old August 31st 03, 02:09 PM
Eliska

wrote in message ...
you're easily amazed.

michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

Yeah she is and thats nothing, I gave my dog a whole packet of biscuits and
said "eat them all as fast as you can", and he did!! I was really impressed
but thought it was a one off, so I threw it an even bigger packet and dared
it again and blow me down it ate the lot!!! So I threw it a REALLY BIG
packet thinking the dog would be stumped but no way he even ate that
too!!!!!! So there you go!!!

PS Anyone want a 300lb dog?

Oh, yeah? That's nothing. I have three dogs and the larger two always try to steal the
little one's treats. So I make the smartest one dance for hers. She does. The next dog has
to sit up for his. He does. The runt is then instructed to run and hide w/his - and HE
DOES!!!

Now. Can you tell me why he's the fattest of the lot : )

Leah wrote:

[...]

Eliska

http://www.ArtChiK.com

Portraits of Pets and People