Warning about Dog Trainer

Old August 29th 03, 02:53 PM
Leah

Default Warning about Dog Trainer

(Lynn K.) wrote:
I hesitate to mention this, but you've got to learn now how to
give a correction, with both a prong and choke. I really don't think
this can be done in writing, but I'm really suprised that you went to
a class that uses collar correction and somehow don't know how to fit
a collar or use it. That should have been the very 1st thing taught.
You have some very funny ideas about both prong and choke collars.
Prong collars are not just management tools, nor are they
self-correcting only. That's fine to teach newbies to protect the
dogs from someone who isn't going to learn how to give a correction,
but it just isn't true. Nor is a choke collar used for sound only -
in exactly the same way. Tell that to a newbie if you can't teach
them how a pop should be given, but recognize that a good handler will
use both sound-only snaps and true collar pops. Hell, there's even
what's called a "positive pop", where the dog looks forward to the
pressure as a good thing!

I wish you lived near me. I would beg you to be my mentor. :}

I have a clue on how to use a prong as a training tool, but not the technique.
What I was shown in the prong class was obviously NOT the way to use it. :}
And the only way I know how to use a choke is by making a noise.

So that's exactly what I'm looking for - somebody who is competent with these
tools and can teach me.

Wanna move to Florida? :}

p.s. I intend to do most of my training using food luring, but I want to be
able to use the best tool for each individual dog. Food, toys, praise, etc.,
just doesn't cut it for some dogs.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html