I Got Bitten Today

Old August 29th 03, 04:27 PM
Debbie S

Default I Got Bitten Today

I don't consider it "working," so I don't consider it more accurate.

Because.....? It requires stamina, focus, work ethic, biddability,
drive, teamwork. How is that not working?

I asked a friend how she picked her working pup, and she said, "I
closed my eyes and reached in."

If I had done that with my last two pups, I wouldn't be as pleased with
the resulting dogs as I am. I'd more than likely have a couch potato
AST, and a GSD with too much bone/angulation. shrug No way in hell
would I just reach into a litter of BC's and grab one. This is what I
was talking about... structure, especially _balanced structure doesn't
appear to be important to 'working' BC breeders. Or are you saying the
litters are so uniform it doesn't matter? The dogs I know that are
litter mates are all over the map as far as size, structure, etc.

I don't think there's anything inherently better about breeding for
performance than breeding for looks, because it's all about personal
preferences.

Ahem. ;-) Barbie Collie/ 'working' Border Collie. HTH!

We have them because we like them for the most part. Very few of us
NEED them for anything, herding, sports, conformation, whatever. We have
dogs for fun.

Well, my present income will pretty much dry up if my clients don't have
dogs. So yes, I _need them in this context.

Do you think someone who is seriously working their dogs on livestock
is going to be able to get by with dogs who have falling-apart
conformation? Because that's the impression I'm getting here.

I can only comment on what I've seen, and yes, the dogs I've seen used
for breeding I wouldn't try to do agility with. I want a dog I can
_campaign.

If you think anyone is going to put in the months and years of training
that entails and then be satisfied with producing a line of dogs that's
only good to age five and then breaks down, you've got another thing
coming.

A dog with a bad front, or bad feet, will most likely last longer
herding than being a serious agility competitor. Dogs off of working
ranches in Idaho are breaking down and two and three years of age. I
just don't find that acceptable. While I suspect a few might have been
pushed too hard as youngsters, I know for a fact that some were not.
That's what makes me want to go to a breeder that's evaluating for _my
sport, and attempting to produce dogs _for my sport.

Oh, YES. That would be totally fine with me. I'll help lobby for the
"Show Shepherd" name change, if you'll help me with the "NSD" name
change.

Deal.

(If we can throw in a "Barbie Collie" lobby, then I'll have your
children for you.)

They've been 'had'. But since you're in Philly, you could go knock on
my daughter's door and explain how she'll break her mother's heart if
she cancels her trip home in a week. sniff

Debbie

I Got Bitten Today Sionnach Dog behavior 4 August 25th 03 02:52 PM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 6 August 25th 03 06:27 AM
I Got Bitten Today Sionnach Dog behavior 0 August 24th 03 08:50 PM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 0 August 23rd 03 01:59 PM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 0 August 23rd 03 01:13 AM