I Got Bitten Today

Old August 29th 03, 09:21 PM
Debbie S

Default I Got Bitten Today

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, or at least not what it's
represented to mean. I could describe Solo's pedigree the same way, but
he isn't a well bred dog.

Okay, so tell me what we should be looking for, cuz I don't get it. If
I can't trust Border Collie people in the sport, I'm sunk, because I
have no desire or time to start going to sheepdog trials. I only lurk
on lists. I really dislike field magg... er, sheep. G If working
farms/ranches don't produce good dogs, and sport people haven't a clue,
that leaves sheepdog trial people, which doesn't make any sense to my
way of thinking, anyway. Those dogs are _sport dogs. What's the
difference between trial dogs and working ranch dogs, in your opinion?

I apparently got her right out from under the noses of a bunch of top
handlers who wanted to buy her and were just a couple of hours too late.

In most breeds and sports, a dog _that good at what it does wouldn't
have been sold to an unknown/unproven handler. It would have been held
back and placed selectively. Why do you think you got her?

How would you feel if someone took real working-line GSDs -- you know,
the kind that take your breath away -- and started breeding GSDs just
for agility? And threw all the other stuff out?

I don't know. Truly. I looked carefully for a dog without the heavy
bone and angulation. I"d like her smaller, but there ya go. If someone
were attempting to breed agility GSDs, I'd go look. :-) I had to sit
on my hands to keep from calling a woman that has an 18 month old bred
very similarly to Kira, that's only 19" and 50 lbs. But that dog has it
all, just in a smaller frame. The timing isn't right, or she'd be
laying on my carpet as I type this.

I don't see that sport BC breeders I've knowledge of are 'throwing all
the other stuff out'. The dogs they're producing are very much
recognizable as Border Collies. They act like 'em, look like 'em, work
like 'em. The breeder I'm considering won't breed anything that doesn't
work sheep, and won't release the papers on dogs for breeding unless the
dogs are 'proven' on sheep. That's a far cry from 'throwing all the
other stuff out'. Is it enough? I don't know. I don't want to work
sheep. I want an awesome agility dog prospect.

But -- she's talented, and you like her, and she's sound, right?

I wouldn't say how sound she is. She's only with me part time, so she
doesn't train as much as I'd like. Yes, she's talented. I'd like a
better front on her, and she has bad teeth. Not decay, but little
enamel and very soft. She's a terrific pinecone herder.

There are any number of Border Collies just like her competing
successfully in agility all over the country, you could easily find
another like her most likely -- so why the need for a custom-job pup?

I would not have selected her due to her stick-straight front. And, as
I said in another post, I don't have the time or the resources to be
flying all over the country looking for dogs with good structure. I
want a nice, balanced dog. With all the scary conformation I see at
trials, they don't appear to grow on trees.

I can't afford to accumulate dogs (since I'd have a really hard time
rehoming any) while searching endlessly for "the one."

Exactly. That's why I"m looking now, for a pup I don't plan on for a
couple of years or so.

Not only is a dog who has been campaigned hard enough, young enough,
to break down by the age of two a baby,

I said before that while I suspect some have been worked hard, I know
for a fact of some that haven't. And they broke down. They had bad
fronts, the owners went and bought a BC pup off a working ranch, from
working parents, not knowing anything about structure. And it bit 'em
in the butt. Jumping and weaving is much different than working on the
flat.

Debbie

I Got Bitten Today Sionnach Dog behavior 4 August 25th 03 02:52 PM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 6 August 25th 03 06:27 AM
I Got Bitten Today Sionnach Dog behavior 0 August 24th 03 08:50 PM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 0 August 23rd 03 01:59 PM
I Got Bitten Today Leah Dog behavior 0 August 23rd 03 01:13 AM