Need Puppy Help - Peeing Retriever

Old September 1st 03, 08:01 PM
AuralFeast

Default Need Puppy Help - Peeing Retriever

Picked up our 7 week-old Golden puppy Saturday - geez, it's been a long time
since I've dealt with a puppy. She's bright, energetic, playful - seems to be
balanced well between the recessive/dominant sides of dog behavior. Good with
the little kids so far - I realize that "confrontations" between the two will
probably escalate as the dog gets better adjusted.

One thing I don't remember about puppy raising is the propensity of this dog to
pee. She'll pee five times within a fifteen minute period outdoors. A minute
after I bring her in she'll pee a bit on the floor. Then she'll do it again a
few minutes later. Pee, pee, pee - thankfully, we have hardwood floors. She
pees in her crate (an adult sized one), although she hasn't peed in there since
I blocked about half of it off.

What's going on here? Is she:

1. Just being a seven week-old puppy?

2. Sick - bladder infection or something like that? We have a vet appointment
tomorrow.

3. Getting too much water - I understand nervous dogs drink a lot.

4. Something else - like I'm old and senile and don't remember how it was to
raise a young puppy.

Thanks for reading. Any insight on your part would be appreciated.

Bob P.

Old September 1st 03, 08:05 PM
Bre

Well puppies do pee a lot but since you have a vet appointment tomorrow, take a
fresh urine sample in with you to have it checked. Get a clean tin foil pan, one of
those low ones and as the puppy squats to pee slip the pan under and get a sample
if you can. Put it in a small clean bottle. I like to use a pill bottle that seals
well. You do not need a lot for the test.

Bre

Old September 2nd 03, 01:18 AM
Kind2dogs

Subject: Need Puppy Help - Peeing Retriever
From: "Emily Carroll"
Date: Mon, Sep 1, 2003 7:48 PM

What's going on here? Is she:

1. Just being a seven week-old puppy?

My 8 week old boy (I got him a week ago) pees no less than 20 times daily,
both outside and (unfortunately) in.

BF can't tell without looking hard that his posture has changed to "pee
mode" hence the inside parts.

2. Sick - bladder infection or something like that? We have a vet

appointment
tomorrow.

Probably not, but I'd ask anyways.

3. Getting too much water - I understand nervous dogs drink a lot.

Probably not. Better to have too much than too little.

4. Something else - like I'm old and senile and don't remember how it

was
raise a young puppy.

Most likely

~Emily

Hey you answered your own questions. ; )

Ok here is my take on things.

Puppies, sleep,pee,poop,play and eat, ALL DAY AND NIGHT.

When pup gets up, put a leash on him, scoop him up and bring him outside right
away,and tell him to do his thing, and the minute he does such, praise him and
bring him in.

Bring him to the SAME SPOT ALWAYS ,and let him go in a circle until he does
his business,and do not let him *play* outside as you want him to know that you
want him to do his thing RIGHT AWAY..

After he EATS, or DRINKS, bring him outside again and do the same thing.

After He plays,do the same thing.

Always praising him and giving him love: )

I am always with my dogs,and I LOVE TO CARE FOR PUPPIES, so I never do the
crate thing, HOWEVER this is good for your pup, as it gives him security AND
helps with the housebreaking.

A pup can do nicely in a crate for four hours, MAX, and then will need to go
out. You do not want him to HAVE to soil his crate because you got lazy and did
not let him out.

A CRATE should be a HAVEN NOT a PUNISHMENT for you pup.

I doubt very much he has a bladder infection. However if so you can put a bit
of cranberry juice in his water instead of doing antibiotics.

He needs to drink lots of water, more than one thinks,

Oh yes and you are correct. Even people that have dogs and had pups before
FORGET how much time and care a pup needs, but ahhhhhhhhhhh that puppy breath.
: )

All Good Thoughts To You and Your Pup!

Paulette and The Magnificent Seven~

Old September 2nd 03, 01:18 AM
Kind2dogs

Old September 2nd 03, 01:27 AM
Bre

Kind2dogs wrote:

snip

I doubt very much he has a bladder infection. However if so you can put a bit
of cranberry juice in his water instead of doing antibiotics.

I know that cranberry juice is good if for man or beast if there is a bladder
infection but since when does it cure the infection.

Bre

Old September 2nd 03, 02:22 AM
FurPaw

Bre wrote:

Not being critical here, my female lab gets them every so often, so when you say
bladder infection do you mean one that is diagnosed by the vet with a urine test
and not one you think the dog has? Because I know an untreated bladder infection
can get out of control and lead to kidney infection. So are you saying that
cranberry juice can cure a real bladder infection. Do you have to give any certain
amount and for how long?

When Dylan's bladder got irritated by her Cytoxan (chemo) treatment, her
vet suggested a cranberry extract capsule 2x per day. She didn't have an
infection, but the irritation (known side effect) could lead to one and
this was given as a preventative. As I understand it, something in
cranberry helps prevent bacterial from clinging to the wall of the bladder
(dog and human). (Dylan weighs 90 lb.)

But I wouldn't give this or any other treatment to the puppy until she'd
had a urine test, and without discussing it with OP's vet.

FurPaw
--
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

To reply, unleash the dog.