Warning about Dog Trainer

Old August 30th 03, 06:24 AM
Leah

Default Warning about Dog Trainer

(DogStar716) wrote:

Because a prong is management, and I'm talking about training.

Ok, you just don't get it, and I cannot believe you haven't figured this out
yet.

Pulling is a huge reward to some dogs. So huge that nothing else is as good.

Take AWAY the option to pull, and the dog will focus on a new reward, the one
that comes from you.

But unless you also TRAIN the dog along with using the prong collar, as soon as
you take the collar off, the dog pulls. He hasn't learned a thing. Then it's
MANAGEMENT. While you're training, it's a management tool to prevent the dog
from getting a reward.

If treats and praise don't cut it, I may try noise aversion - a collar pop.

If you really believe that dogs respond to the noise of the collar as opposed
to the actual pop, I've got a bridge to sell you... sure, after you popped
the
collar a dozent times, the dog will learn that the pop also has a sound to
it,
but initially, it's the physical pop of the collar that the dog responds to.

And what about the physical pop is it that motivates the dog? It couldn't be
the brief tightening of the collar. It certainly doesn't get their attention
if the collar chokes them, so why would a brief tightening affect them?

When I trained with it, it was the noise that got my eskie's attention.

However, she has always
responded well to noise (i.e., a shaken penny can).

Well then, why would you need to pop a collar if she responds to noise? Take
the shake can out on the walk and shake it every time she pulls.

If I was going to use noise, it would be much more convenient to use a collar.
One less thing to carry. Plus the shaker can isn't right next to her ear.

I was taught an acceptable way to use the choke collar

Man I hate Petsmart.... "we don't believe in choke chain use in training,
however our trainer does".

I understand why PetsMart has to be "one size fits all." I don't understand
why an individual would choose to limit their own toolbox.

Have you never run into a dog who just does not respond to food, toys, or happy
voice? I have. Not a lot of them, but enough to want to know what to do with
them if they show up in my (future) private class.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.