Old dog and slippery floor problem

Old September 2nd 03, 02:59 PM
Kind2dogs

Default Old dog and slippery floor problem

Subject: Old dog and slippery floor problem
From: "Chris Jung"
Date: Tue, Sep 2, 2003 9:38 AM
Hi,
Zeffie is doing better but still has trouble on our kitchen sheet vinyl
or
bedroom wood floors. If she's slightly unbalanced, her feet slide out and
she often gets stuck (legs splayed out) until we help her back up. We
currently have a large ugly room rug in our kitchen and some runner rugs
for
paths to the doorways.

To start with, here's some background info: We have been having trouble
with
Zeffie peeing on our carpet. She's been to the vet numerous times and it's
not typical spayed bitch leakage or a urinary tract infection. She's not
full when she pees - it's always a fairly small amount. It could be a type
of canine senility even though she's still sharp as a tack otherwise.
She'll walk along then all of a sudden squat for a quick pee. I've noticed
that when the house is hopping (AM when we are up and running around, PM
when Soren & Dave are home) and she's in the thick of the activity, she
doesn't do it. It's when things are quiet that she'll get up from a nap,
squat to pee, then go to another place for a nap.

She's on anapril just in case this is canine senility (hasn't made any
difference), on PPA for spayed bitch incontinence (it works in that she
longer dribbles when sleeping) and thyrosin for hypothyroid. She has DM
so
her hind legs are weak and shaky. Other than the recent attack of geriatric
vestibular syndrome, she's bright eyed and happy.

As a way of managing this situation, we are planning putting gates on the
kitchen doorways and keeping Zeffie in the kitchen at night and during the
day when it's quiet. It's a very bright and pleasant room so I think she'll
be fine in there. However we would prefer to keep the floor bare for easy
clean up. Zeffie will have her comfy bed (in the nook under our eating
counter) and a rug in front of her food/water dishes.

So now that you know the background and my plan, here's my problem. I don't
want Zeffie to be slipping on the bare sheet vinyl. I know there is
something called Paw Wax out there. It's a waxy kind of stuff used on paws
to give dogs traction on slippery floors. The question is does anyone know
of a homemade version? I could order some but it'll cost a bit over 10
bucks for a little tin and I wonder if it's really just beeswax or something
similar.

Chris, her smoothes and soon Foster Kittens!
Zeffie and Pablo

I thnk Zeffie will be afraid, if not near you.

Old dogs need to be with you as they get frightened and confused so easily.

There is something that you use on boats, to prevent slipperness.

It comes on a roll,can be anywhere from 20 inches wide to 3 feet,and comes in
nice colours.

This could be cut to fit any area, or just unroll like a runner.

It is lightweight and can be washed as well.

I think a roll of about ten feet is no more than 15 bucks.

Yo might even be able to get something like it at a Walmart.

People use it to line their drawers.

All Good Thoughts To Your Old Girl.

Paulette~
Old September 2nd 03, 02:59 PM
Kind2dogs

Old September 2nd 03, 03:21 PM

Chris Jung wrote:
So now that you know the background and my plan, here's my problem. I don't
want Zeffie to be slipping on the bare sheet vinyl. I know there is
something called Paw Wax out there. It's a waxy kind of stuff used on paws
to give dogs traction on slippery floors. The question is does anyone know
of a homemade version? I could order some but it'll cost a bit over 10
bucks for a little tin and I wonder if it's really just beeswax or something
similar.

The current issue of "Mushing" has a recipe for a beeswax
cream for foot protection that should also provide traction:

4 oz. water
8 oz. mineral oil
pinch of borax
1 tsp. lanolin
2 oz. beeswax

Melt beeswax with lanolin and mineral oil until wax is just
melted. Warm the water and borax. Pour wax mixture into
the water mixture, stir. Beat slowly to make creamy.
Caution: don't microwave the beeswax.

Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?

Old September 2nd 03, 08:01 PM
Scott

You should consider trimming the hair between and around Zeffie's pads.
Without the hair trimmed as short as possible, it is like walking/sliding
around while wearing socks, which is to say slippery. Trimming the hair
increases traction.