guess the breed

Old November 30th 03, 12:44 AM
culprit

Default guess the breed

once again, it's time to play, "guess my breed"!

ok, Bear is a friend's dog. he came from a shelter in Indiana. he's a he
(obviously), and that's about all we know for sure about him. :-)

the following are my observations, to help with the game:

he's a very nice dog. a bit aloof at first, but warms up quickly and enjoys
a nice scratch behind the ears. isn't very interested in interacting with
other dogs. he gives warning barks when strangers approach the house, but
isn't a terribly vocal dog in general. he has a very thick double coat and
sheds a LOT. the undercoat is very soft and downy. he has a black tongue,
and holds his tail up and slightly over his back. he probably weighs about
50 pounds, and is a solidly medium sized dog. i'd guess about 20 inches at
the shoulder.

here are the pix: http://groups.msn.com/culprit/guess.msnw?albumlist=2.

any guesses?

Old November 30th 03, 01:22 AM

culprit wrote:
once again, it's time to play, "guess my breed"!

Akita x ?

Bad taste is better than no taste -- Arnold Bennett
Old November 30th 03, 01:52 AM
EGD

Chow/Akita
Chow/Shep
Akita/Golden

A friend of mine has an Akita/Golden mix which looks very like this dog
except he's a great deal larger.
EGD

Old November 30th 03, 01:57 AM
culprit

"EGD" wrote in message
Chow/Akita
Chow/Shep
Akita/Golden

A friend of mine has an Akita/Golden mix which looks very like this dog
except he's a great deal larger.

yeah, that's the thing. i thought Akita x as well, but he's really not a
very large dog. maybe Akita x Shiba Inu?

-kelly

Old November 30th 03, 03:35 AM
Rocky

culprit said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

i'd guess about 20 inches at
the shoulder.

Shar Pei or Akita cross? I'm bad at this.

Old November 30th 03, 05:41 AM
asdf

Norweigan Elkhound / GSD
Old November 30th 03, 06:25 AM
Liisa Sarakontu

"culprit" wrote in
:

once again, it's time to play, "guess my breed"!
http://groups.msn.com/culprit/guess.msnw?albumlist=2.

If he was bigger, I'd say that he is half Akita. The skin looks loose and
forehead wrinkled; Asian breeds often look just like that so if there is no
Akita, then there might be Chow. Half Chow, half Retriever? Or perhaps more
than two breeds?

Liisa
Old November 30th 03, 07:03 AM
dancertm

On 29 Nov 2003 19:22:42 -0500, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

In article ,
culprit wrote:
once again, it's time to play, "guess my breed"!

Akita x ?

I guess Akita/German S.
Old November 30th 03, 07:28 AM
Abby Pennington

Liisa Sarakontu wrote in
:

If he was bigger, I'd say that he is half Akita. The skin looks loose
and forehead wrinkled; Asian breeds often look just like that so if
there is no Akita, then there might be Chow. Half Chow, half
Retriever? Or perhaps more than two breeds?

I agree with Liisa--he looks like some very badly bred Akitas I've seen
(size not withstanding). I can see smooth Chow x something as another
possibility. OTOH, he reminds me of some Shar-Pei mixes I've seen. He's
cute, whatever he is.

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****
Old November 30th 03, 11:00 AM
peejoe

here are the pix:
http://groups.msn.com/culprit/guess.msnw?albumlist=2.

any guesses?

I'm going with Chow x Norweigian Elkhound.

-Jenn