advice for first-time pit owner?

Old December 1st 03, 06:16 PM
Tracy Doyle

Default advice for first-time pit owner?

elegy wrote:

i'm looking into adopting a 3 year old female pit mix from a rescue.
my application has been approved but i haven't been to meet her yet. i
will go see her next weekend and if our personalities mesh and she
seems to be ok with my current dog (an elderly miniature poodle) she
will be spayed and then come home with me soon afterward. (the rescue
says she has never shown any aggression toward other animals.)

Hi, Elegy...

I have a pit bull and I can tell you that they're just as lovey-dovey as
the ones you have seen in the kennel (as a rule). Mine lives here with
three other dogs and gets along beautifully with them. That said, I do
have strict rules on how far they can go with rough play and resource
guarding.

You didn't say whether your other dog was a male or a female - that's
important. Most pit bull rescues won't place a dog in a household with a
dog of the same sex. I always supervise my group. When I leave the
house, I separate them. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Pit bulls are very strong for their size and obedience training is
practically a necessity. They're also very intelligent and have a great
work ethic - they love to have a job to do. If you can go to training
classes with her, go. She'll probably love it! Mine does...

Anyhow, favorite resources for just plain old pit bull information a

http://www.pbrc.net
http://www.badrap.org/
http://www.realpitbull.com

Some pit bull discussion groups: