New Puppy Hates Crate

Old September 3rd 03, 07:04 PM
Sarah

Default New Puppy Hates Crate

We have a new chocolate lab who is 13 weeks old. She's really good at
night in the crate as long as we run and play for about an hour or so
to exhaust her before bed. I'm currently at home during the day and
need to crate her so that I can run errands and just do basic daily
tasks. The problem is that she hates the crate during the day. I try
not to force her in...I tempt her with toys and treats and sometimes
pet her until she falls asleep in the crate, but as soon as I leave or
simply close the door she starts barking. I've put a towel in there
to keep her warm, too. Today I went to a yoga class and came home and
she was still barking. I've never left her in there for more than 2
hours (except at night when she is fine) but I'm getting so frustrated
during the day. She loves to sleep in the living room, but I can't
leave her alone. Does anyone know how I can get her to enjoy her
crate and minimize the barking when she is left alone?