Puppy problem

Old September 5th 03, 05:02 PM
The General

Default Puppy problem

I have a 3 months old Golden Retriever. She is very smart but she is also
getting head strong. Do any of you have an answer for her wanting to put her
teeth on you? I know she is teething and for the most part she only does
this when she is excited. She is not mad or upset. She is playing. Also she
is all ready 25 lbs. at 3 months old I am disabled so I am having trouble
controlling her at times any suggestions of how to give her an outlet for
her energy?
The General

Old September 5th 03, 05:05 PM
_2michael__michael#

The General wrote:
I have a 3 months old Golden Retriever. She is very smart but she is also
getting head strong. Do any of you have an answer for her wanting to put her
teeth on you? I know she is teething and for the most part she only does
this when she is excited. She is not mad or upset. She is playing. Also she
is all ready 25 lbs. at 3 months old I am disabled so I am having trouble
controlling her at times any suggestions of how to give her an outlet for
her energy?
The General

Puppy No Bite
http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm
http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm
http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm
http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm
http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm

Puppy Down
http://dogtv.com/kdown.rm
http://dogtv.com/kdown.rm
http://dogtv.com/kdown.rm
http://dogtv.com/kdown.rm
http://dogtv.com/kdown.rm

Puppy Crate Training
http://dogtv.com/cage.rm
http://dogtv.com/cage.rm
http://dogtv.com/cage.rm
http://dogtv.com/cage.rm
http://dogtv.com/cage.rm

From your World Leader in Dog and Puppy EnterTraining

http://dogtv.com

Old September 5th 03, 05:29 PM
Diana

"The General" wrote in message
I have a 3 months old Golden Retriever. She is very smart but she is also
getting head strong. Do any of you have an answer for her wanting to put

her
teeth on you? I know she is teething and for the most part she only does
this when she is excited. She is not mad or upset. She is playing. Also

she
is all ready 25 lbs. at 3 months old I am disabled so I am having trouble
controlling her at times any suggestions of how to give her an outlet for
her energy?
The General

I have a 2 month old Weim and when she wants to 'play' she gets very
excited! I've found that the easiest way to break the teethy games is to ask
her to do something different.

We've been learning basic commands with lure and reward techniques and she
knows 'outside' 'sit', 'come' settle' and 'cage' quite well now, so we do a
quick practice go of these then once her mind has been distracted from her
initial 'wild play' games, I can redirect her play towards a toy that
doesn't mind having need sharp teethies biting in to it!

Diana

Old September 5th 03, 05:38 PM
The General

That sounds helpful. She can already "Set", "Lay down" and "Shake hands".
More work is needed. Thanks for you help.
General

Old September 5th 03, 08:03 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"The General" wrote in
:

I have a 3 months old Golden Retriever. She is very smart but she is
also getting head strong. Do any of you have an answer for her wanting
to put her teeth on you? I know she is teething and for the most part
she only does this when she is excited. She is not mad or upset. She
is playing.

Hey, welcome to the group. Don't mind all of the off-topic conversation,
we truly are a community here and enjoy hearing about interesting things
goinjg on in each others lives. Jump right in, make yourself at home, and
like in the fairy tales, don't feed the trolls.

At 3 months old, your puppy is nowhere near getting a brain yet.

In addition to what Diana mentioned with the commands, here is another
way to solve the problem. Puppies, when they are playing with each other,
use their teeth a lot. When one of them bites too hard, the other puppies
yelp and ignore the biter. What you want to do is to react the same way
that her siblings/mother would if she bit them too hard. Yell "ouch" in a
loud, high-pitched voice, and ignore her for a couple of minutes. Turn
your body away and don't acknowledge her at all. Eventually, she will
learn that biting results in play stopping.

Another idea that might work (I am not sure) is to, when she bites/nips
at you, give her a toy she *can* chew on, and when she bites it, praise
her.

Yet another trick you can do, is to teach her a command that, when she is
doing it, makes it impossible for her to bite. Stick a bunch of peanut
butter (or cheese whiz) on your finger/palm. While she is licking it off,
tell her "give me a kiss" or "kisses" or something like that. If you do
this often enough, when she starts to bite, you can just say "kisses" and
she should start to lick you instead. One caution if you use this one, is
to make sure that you don't feed her so much pb/cw that she doesn't eat
enough puppy food.

Good Luck.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'I want to die in my sleep like my
grandfather...Not screaming and
yelling like the passengers in his car.'

Old September 5th 03, 08:05 PM
KrisHur

What worked for me is an oldie but a goodie--yell (really loud) OW! and
totally withdraw from her. Turn your back on her and walk away. After 5-10
minutes return to petting/playing and repeat the OW! until she gets it. She
should quickly learn to keep her little puppy needle-teeth off of your
hand/arms.

--
Kristen &
Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT

"The General" wrote in message
I have a 3 months old Golden Retriever. She is very smart but she is also
getting head strong. Do any of you have an answer for her wanting to put

her
teeth on you? I know she is teething and for the most part she only does
this when she is excited. She is not mad or upset. She is playing. Also

she
is all ready 25 lbs. at 3 months old I am disabled so I am having trouble
controlling her at times any suggestions of how to give her an outlet for
her energy?
The General

Cockapoos and puppy millers Scall0way Dog breeds 23 April 25th 04 04:37 PM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
Puppy growth and behavior (aka Am I doing something wrong??) Aaron Dog behavior 2 July 28th 03 09:33 PM
Problem with spayed puppy and un-neutered puppy. M&M Dog health 1 July 13th 03 01:13 AM