getting a puppy

Old December 2nd 03, 08:58 PM
Ilan Kerman

Default getting a puppy

Hello,

We've recently had a friend of ours and her dog stay with us. Her dog is a
6-year West Highland White Terrier named Molly. Both my wife and I have
become very attached to her and are considering getting a dog of our own.
We'd like to get a Westie or another terrier since we have lived with this
breed and know that such a dog will be a good fit for us. We would like some
advice regarding which breeds may be most appropriate and how to go about
this.

We live in a house and have a large open yard with a 21' x 36' pen enclosed
by a four-foot fence. We do not have children now, but plan on having them
within the next five years. We have tried adopting an abandonded Westie, but
were told by the local rescue coordinator that Westies do not do well with
children under 10 (and since we're planning on having children she turned
down our application).

We are considering buying a puppy from a breeder, but have found that
availability and prices (close to $1,000) may make this route impractical.
We are also considering getting a "mongrel" puppy, specifically a Min.
Schnauzer and a Westie mix but don't really know anything about this. We
don't have to have a pure bred dog but one that is playful, active and
loving.

Specifically we'd like to know the following:
1) are any terrier breeds better suited for children than others? or is it
possible to train any puppy to do well with young children?
2) how much variation in temperament is there among the terriers? For
instance we've read that JRT's are so active that they would be capable of
escaping from our pen. Is this true? Should we stay away from them?
3) are there any advantages or disadvantages of terrier mixes? We are
obviously not interested in showing or breeding our dog, just having a good
companion/pet.

Thank you,

-Ilan Kerman

Old December 3rd 03, 12:20 AM
J1Boss

From: "Ilan Kerman"

We've recently had a friend of ours and her dog stay with us. Her dog is a
6-year West Highland White Terrier named Molly. Both my wife and I have
become very attached to her and are considering getting a dog of our own.
We'd like to get a Westie or another terrier since we have lived with this
breed and know that such a dog will be a good fit for us.

Westie's tend to be pretty good "beginner dogs". Non-shedding, not tail to
speak of (plus they fit UNDER the coffe table anyway! ;-D) and generally pretty
compliant, especially for a terrier.

We live in a house and have a large open yard with a 21' x 36' pen enclosed
by a four-foot fence. We do not have children now, but plan on having them
within the next five years. We have tried adopting an abandonded Westie, but
were told by the local rescue coordinator that Westies do not do well with
children under 10 (and since we're planning on having children she turned
down our application).

My experience with clients says otherwise, but pleas realize that rescue people
are extra cautious. A Westie not raised with children may have some issues.

We are considering buying a puppy from a breeder, but have found that
availability and prices (close to $1,000) may make this route impractical.

Think again. That's higher than I thought the price would be, but consider
what you are getting as far as predictability, health, temperament, etc. A
"bargain" puppy can cost a lot more in the long run.

We are also considering getting a "mongrel" puppy, specifically a Min.
Schnauzer and a Westie mix but don't really know anything about this. We
don't have to have a pure bred dog but one that is playful, active and
loving.

That's another story. There are many wonderful pure and mixed breed dogs who
need homes. Adopting one who has good child history would be a good bet. I
prefer to adopt adult dogs when I adopt - what you see is what you get.

Specifically we'd like to know the following:
1) are any terrier breeds better suited for children than others? or is it
possible to train any puppy to do well with young children?

Many dogs do best when raised with the child. Exposing a dog to children in
teh years before a full time child arrives is a very good idea. I think the
sturdier terrier breeds are better bets - cairns and westies.

2) how much variation in temperament is there among the terriers? For
instance we've read that JRT's are so active that they would be capable of
escaping from our pen. Is this true? Should we stay away from them?

Keep in mind that no dog should be left outdoors unattended (that may just be
watching for a window or being home). JRT's are very active dogs and not for
the casual owner. Most terriers are diggers (hence their group name).

3) are there any advantages or disadvantages of terrier mixes? We are
obviously not interested in showing or breeding our dog, just having a good
companion/pet.

Many terrier mixes are charming, many are not. Individual personalitu, good
history, etc should be your deciding factor.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine

Old December 3rd 03, 05:06 AM
SpecialK

"Ilan Kerman" wrote in message
[...]

Hello

I have a westie.she is 3 years old now I got her when she was 10 months old
at the pound.
she was already spayed and only costed me $200.she was crazy but now since
she is 3years old and she has settled down a bit.I have put her through 2
Obedience classes and she still doesnt listen very well.Everything is a game
to her and I worked with her like crazy.I am still working with her.she is
totally house trained though.very good about going outside.
She doesnt shed at all however she is white so she gets alot of baths.
The only thing I dont like about her/the breed is she/they are not Loyal at
all.she has gotten out the front door 3 times and I was so afraid I would
never see her again..she is the type that would run and never look back..I
have made sure she has tags and some kind of ID on her collar.Oh and she
never got over the chasing cats..we dont have our cats anymore because she
wouldnt leave them alone. They now live with my parents in Minnesota.
Don't get me wrong I love my dog very much and she is my best friend,But I
wouldnt have another westie.

you are welcome to visit her web site.

http://members.cox.net/azbreezy/

Kristy

New Puppy Questions (Shih Tsu) MikeTheBike9 Dog breeds 1 November 25th 03 12:18 AM
Canadian dog breeders? Gilles Leblanc Dog breeds 14 October 27th 03 08:52 PM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
nine week old puppy Ladyver400 Dog breeds 0 July 21st 03 06:07 AM
Adopted Golden Retriever puppy, worried about size queenmother Dog breeds 7 July 10th 03 02:47 AM