dog urine removel tips

Old September 8th 03, 09:16 AM
culprit

Default dog urine removel tips

Manu had an accident on the brand new sofa this evening. the urine has
soaked through the upholstery and into the cushion. does anyone have any
recommendations for removing it completely? the cushion is not washable,
but can be removed from the upholstery cover.

we have a stain guard warranty on it, but if they can't take care of it
immediately, i'm going to have to fix it myself.

the SO wants to get rid of Manu over this, so i need to get it fixed as soon
as possible to placate him. don't worry, i told him if the dog goes, i go
too.

-kelly

Old September 8th 03, 12:58 PM
Suja

culprit wrote:

Manu had an accident on the brand new sofa this evening. the urine has
soaked through the upholstery and into the cushion. does anyone have any
recommendations for removing it completely? the cushion is not washable,
but can be removed from the upholstery cover.

Have you tried the usual - Nature's Miracle? I'd clean the upholstery
cover separately, of course. When Khan has had accidents inside the
house (whenever he has the runs and ends up having to poop indoors, he
also pees a little on the leg of my very nice coffee table), I've
cleaned it first with Nature's Miracle, and then steam cleaned it.
Can't see any stain, and can't smell anything either. On the cover, you
might want to test a corner first to make sure that it won't make the
colors bleed.

Suja

Old September 8th 03, 01:55 PM
Cate

"culprit" wrote in message

so, should i just clean this myself, or should i call a cleaner? or

should
i try to clean it myself, see what happens, then call a cleaner if i fail
miserably?

Do you have Servicemaster where you live? Those people can clean almost
anything out of or off of anything else. If there is one near you, call and
ask what they recommend for you yourself to do it. (I've had good luck doing
that once before.) Then ask if that differs from what they'd do to it, and
hire them if it sounds better.

If you don't have Servicemaster, why not ask a dry cleaner about the
possibility of dry cleaning the cushion? (I'd definitely at least send the
cover to the dry cleaner.) If they say no, ask for their suggestions.

Cate

Old September 8th 03, 02:20 PM
culprit

"Kind2dogs" wrote in message

What type of material for cover and cushion?

the cover is a wool/poly blend, and the cushion is latex foam with some sort
of batting for a filling. probably poly.

I am a big believer in loose canvas slipcovers for all my chairs and

sofas, as
I want the dogs to be all cozy with me.

unfortunately, i think the dogs are off the couch for good after this. i'll
have to get some big pillows so i can join them on the floor.

HOw old is Manu? ANd what prompted him to do such?

he just turned a year old. it seems like sometimes he just can't hold it
very long. we take him out frequently, praise and treat him lots when he
goes. he's pretty good at sitting by the door or scratching at the glass
when he wants out, but sometimes he doesn't seem to realize he has to go
until he's already going.
since almost all of his "accidents" happen when i'm not home, i have a
feeling the SO doesn't keep as close an eye on him as i do, which may be
part of the problem.

he's only been with us a few months, and before that was in a few different
foster homes, so i'm not sure his house training ever took properly. we're
going back to potty training 101 for a while to see if that helps.

-kelly

Old September 8th 03, 02:45 PM

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, culprit wrote:

the cover is a wool/poly blend, and

is it washable? if so, i would recommend washing it in cold
water with just detergent. rinse it then wash it again in
cold water with detergent and a little bit of ammonia. i use
~1/2 C for a standard washer load. if you do it by hand in a
tub, use an ounce or two. rinse in clean water and the cover
will come out sweet smelling with no trace of urine odor.

if you don't want to use ammonia (some people are dubious
about how effective it'll be), you can also use a small
amount of Pine-Sol or Citra-Solve. either of those will
deodorize it nicely. just make sure you dissolve them in
water before adding the fabric. you could also try washing in
Nature's Miracle, but it's pricey and IME doesn't work too
well for laundry.

the cushion is latex foam with some sort of batting for a
filling. probably poly.

ah! easy peasy. take the cover off and set it the cushion in
your shower. turn it on hot and let it run for awhile. the
urine will be washed out pretty thoroughly. if you are still
worried about odor, douse liberally with Nature's Miracle.
then, take the cushion outside to dry in the sun. sunlight
disinfects and deodorizes. once it's dried thoroughly, i
guarantee you, the cushion will not smell like urine any
longer (if it works for cat pee, it'll work for Manu pee!).

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette