Herding training (border collies)

Old September 6th 03, 06:02 PM
Katra

Default Herding training (border collies)

Anyone have any advice on the procedure for training a BC to herd small
animals without grabbing/hurting them? The herding thing is obviously
instinctive, but how to you teach them that chasing is ok, but grabbing
their subjects is a no-no?

She needs "work" to do and I'm trying to provide that need for her. :-)
At least on weekends...

Am also totally clueless about agility training. I've a feeling that
would be good for her too, but I've never seen it or done it. Any good links?

Her recall training is now perfect, and she is quick to learn other
skills so I'm very optomistic. It's also a real joy to work with such a
smart dog. I can now leave the front gate open to unload groceries and
she won't leave the yard. :-) Good girl!

I took Jewels out the other day so the mailman could love on her. She
leaps high into the air every time the mail truck stops so he has
nicknamed her "frisbee dog"! G He will stop and stick his hands thru
the fence to pet her and she licks his hands. Kinda neat for the dog and
the mailman to be buddies. ;-)

TIA!
Katra

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra