hung up on looks - looking for new breeds to research.

Old December 3rd 03, 12:15 AM
flob

Default hung up on looks - looking for new breeds to research.

I met a Ridgeback mix recently at a local rescue - came real close to
adopting her. I hate to be hung up on appearances, but these are the
most beautiful dogs. Unfortunately, they possess some behavioral
characteristics that would probably cause me problems (sight hound
traits).

I really need something more like a lab or golden in temperament. In my
mind's eye, I have always seen Labs to be sleek and athletic (like the
ridgie) - but the ones I have been seeing (I notice them now that I have
been looking for a dog) are kind of blocky - like shorthaired
Newfoundland. I really don't go for that appearance and I wonder if
that sort of body type would happily endure the 20-30 miles of hiking I
do every week.

Can someone think of a breed of dog that has that sleek, athletic,
houndish appearance of the Ridgeback (excluding dogs with small, pointy
heads) but with a personality closer to a lab? I need some new breeds
to research.

Thanks!
Old December 3rd 03, 01:13 AM
CaptRon

"flob" wrote in message
a.net...

Can someone think of a breed of dog that has that sleek, athletic,
houndish appearance of the Ridgeback (excluding dogs with small, pointy
heads) but with a personality closer to a lab? I need some new breeds
to research.

perhaps a field bred lab? or a lab-mix?

dainerra

Old December 3rd 03, 03:14 AM
asdf

Can someone think of a breed of dog that has that sleek, athletic,
houndish appearance of the Ridgeback (excluding dogs with small, pointy
heads) but with a personality closer to a lab? I need some new breeds
to research.

If only they made a black weimaraner...
Old December 3rd 03, 03:24 AM
Robin Nuttall

asdf wrote:

Can someone think of a breed of dog that has that sleek, athletic,
houndish appearance of the Ridgeback (excluding dogs with small, pointy
heads) but with a personality closer to a lab? I need some new breeds
to research.

If only they made a black weimaraner...

I'm sorry but Weims are not at ALL lab-like in temperament. In general
they are far higher strung and more frenetic. I've known a few very nice
ones but unfortunately most are dogs that I wouldn't own at all--skitzy,
spooky, reactive, easily stressed. Very different than the sunny, happy,
hard headed but soft hearted lab temperament.

Old December 3rd 03, 03:32 AM
Rocky

Melanie L Chang said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I've seen lots and lots of sleek, houndy-looking Labs from
shelters or rescues.

So true. I'm seeing more and more wonderful in-shape labs as
the years go by.

As an unfortunate counterbalance, in my last class there was a
medium fat lab wanting to bust out of his fat suit - just raring
to go, but without the body to match his mind set.

Old December 3rd 03, 04:00 AM
Rocky

asdf said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

As an unfortunate counterbalance, in my last class there
was a medium fat lab wanting to bust out of his fat suit -
just raring to go, but without the body to match his mind
set.

Problem is, the breed standard I'm looking at on the AKC's
web site depicts the stocky, heavy dog I don't want.

I've met, played with, and helped train many sleek cool labs.

It
seems that most of these sleek, athletic looking labs would
be considered ill-bred. Perhaps the dog I seek does not
exist. Oh well... That's what mutts are for!

Heh, as long as you get that mutt from the pound!

Old December 3rd 03, 04:40 AM
Emily Carroll

Problem is, the breed standard I'm looking at on the AKC's web site
depicts the stocky, heavy dog I don't want. It seems that most of these
sleek, athletic looking labs would be considered ill-bred. Perhaps the
dog I seek does not exist. Oh well... That's what mutts are for!

It depicts an accurate picture of what the breed is meant to look like.
Many of the dogs being shown do *not* meet the breed standard, despite the
wishes of the judges and breeders involved.

The "sleek" and "athletic" build is generally field-bred dogs. You're
trading off the slightly-more-mellow personality for a dog that can
sometimes border on Border Collie insanity, but with the look you want.

Regardless of what style of Lab you go for, make sure to find a breeder that
has OFA hips & elbows, has had the heart cleared either through OFA or by a
board certified canine cardiologist, and has CERF papers on each dog they
have bred or intend to breed. Field people seem to be hesitant to admit
that there are heart and elbow problems in the breed. There is also a
problem in labs called "EIC," or "Exercise Induced Collapse," which
basically means that when they get overworked they collapse. Some dogs have
it, some don't, and many believe it to be a simple recessive.

--
Emily Carroll
Dealing 80s Toys - Rainbow Brite - My Little Pony - More

---