Snow on the Dox

Old December 3rd 03, 10:07 PM
Yawgoog

Default Snow on the Dox

Unfortunately not all of us get to live in Florida. I'm in a rather snowy part
of the US NorthEast. I'm wondering about keeping a dog happy and safe in this
cold and snowy environment. I know some people keep their large breed dogs
outdoors for hours at a time, so I'm pretty sure dogs are better insulated than
us (not that I plan on leaving my dog outside for any extended period).

I have a longhair mini dachshund, 7 months old and weighs approximately 10
pounds. Cute small fry.
Old December 7th 03, 08:33 PM
iufan

wrote in message . ..
When the ancient war dogs did battle on 03 Dec 2003 22:07:02 GMT,
(Yawgoog) did speak the following bit of wisdom:

I have a longhair mini dachshund, 7 months old and weighs
approximately 10 pounds.

Like other silky, long coated breeds, your dachsie will need attention
after going in the snow. The long hair will accumulate snow and ice
balls on it that need to be removed. Check the hair on and around the
pads of his feet in particular. Also, because they are so close to the
ground, they will be pretty wet when they come back inside. So get a
nice fluffy towel and dry him well. Other than that, I can't see you
having any major problems.

Our smooth mini LOVED going out in the snow from the time he was a
baby until he died at nearly 18 years of age. As they get older, they
are less able to handle the extreme cold and should be kept warm and
dried very well after going out in the weather. But most dachsies love
snow. Ours loved to tunnel through it. Perhaps he thought there was a
badger down in there somewhere that needed to be snagged.

*~ *~ *~
Karen C.
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account! So there...

"You have no power here!
...Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you too!"

Thats funny cause my mini is the other way around! Wants nothing to do
with it! Whenever it snows I have to shovel the snow down to the grass
so she will do her business outside! Shes a little priss when it comes
to snow...and rain forget that!!!

Cindy