What Breed

Old December 6th 03, 01:46 PM
whitespc1

Default What Breed

Any suggestions on breeds to consider:

I did an on-line questionnaire and the dogs that came up for me we
1) Bernese Mountain Dog
2) Old English Sheepdog (I had 2 of these as a kid)
3) King Charles Spaniel

What are the other dogs that qualify for:
- small household
- no yard (community association with a leash law)
- requires little to medium exercise
- great with Kids! (boys, 5 + 7 years old)
- great with Kids!
- good with other animals. We have a 3 year old Himalayan cat... not a
tolerant cat
- Not yappy and little barking required. This will not be a watchdog
- good with strangers
- playful but not aggressive

Old December 6th 03, 01:51 PM
Emily Carroll

I did an on-line questionnaire and the dogs that came up for me we
1) Bernese Mountain Dog
2) Old English Sheepdog (I had 2 of these as a kid)
3) King Charles Spaniel

What are the other dogs that qualify for:
- small household
- no yard (community association with a leash law)
- requires little to medium exercise
- great with Kids! (boys, 5 + 7 years old)
- great with Kids!
- good with other animals. We have a 3 year old Himalayan cat... not a
tolerant cat
- Not yappy and little barking required. This will not be a watchdog
- good with strangers
- playful but not aggressive

Sounds like a Lab to me. The only downside is the exercise requirement--a
puppy in a home with active people will get plenty of exercise on it's own,
though. Mine gets his jollies by "helping" with chores. He also can easily
exercise himself in my 3 bedroom apartment.

I do take him out to his breeder's twice a week where he wears himself
completely out playing with her newest puppy.

~Emily

---

Old December 6th 03, 02:06 PM
whitespc1

I had 2 golden retrievers when I was a kid. I found them to require more
exercise than I am prepared for and they really benefited by having a yard.

I lost my second boy retriever to a large Cadillac. My boy was very
friendly, loved the neighborhood, and unfortunately got angry at a speeding
Cadillac. This was ultimately our fault but he was definitely a warrior and
I found that to be generally true of the breed. They are great family
dogs!!!! I will keep this breed in the running

Thanks for the feedback

Old December 6th 03, 03:49 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"whitespc1" wrote in message
I had 2 golden retrievers when I was a kid. I found them to require more
exercise than I am prepared for and they really benefited by having a

yard.

Then, you might want to cross the OES off your list. They are
a herding breed, and will most likely have pretty high exercise
requirements. While many of them make wonderful family
pets, I know the grooming requirement alone would make me
run for the hills! :-)

Shelly & The Boys (who are moderately labor-intensive to groom themselves):
Coda (Collie-somethin')
Bodhi (Belgian Sheepdog)

Old December 6th 03, 04:37 PM
Rosa Palmén

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in message

"whitespc1" wrote in message
I had 2 golden retrievers when I was a kid. I found them to require

more
exercise than I am prepared for and they really benefited by having a

yard.

Then, you might want to cross the OES off your list. They are
a herding breed, and will most likely have pretty high exercise
requirements. While many of them make wonderful family
pets, I know the grooming requirement alone would make me
run for the hills! :-)

Shelly & The Boys (who are moderately labor-intensive to groom

themselves):
Coda (Collie-somethin')
Bodhi (Belgian Sheepdog)

I agree that an OES might need too much exercise, but don't forget that you
can get an OES trimmed if you don't feel like taking care of all that fur.
They look pretty nice too when they are trimmed. Naturally they still need
grooming and you have to go get them trimmed every now and then, but it
makes grroming a bit easier. =)

Rosa
(Who is thinking of getting her Tervuren trimmed)

Old December 6th 03, 06:18 PM
T Parsons

Lab or Newfoundland?

--
Cheers,

T Parsons
Newfoundland
Canada
"Just give 'er"

Old December 6th 03, 06:23 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Rosa Palmén" wrote in message
I agree that an OES might need too much exercise, but don't forget that

you
can get an OES trimmed if you don't feel like taking care of all that fur.
They look pretty nice too when they are trimmed. Naturally they still need
grooming and you have to go get them trimmed every now and then, but it
makes grroming a bit easier. =)

Rosa
(Who is thinking of getting her Tervuren trimmed)

Maybe Yala needs a "belly cut". :-) I've seen some folks that shave
their bellies to help keep the "spayed old dog" hair from matting,
and to help keep them cooler.
Despite my dislike of shaved dogs, I do think that OES are MUCH
cuter w/o all that fuzz than with!
Shelly (I like to see dog's faces!) & The Boys

Old December 6th 03, 06:24 PM
asdf

Many of the giant breeds - Newfoundlands, St. Bernards (sp?), Great
Danes come to mind, would probably be a good fit.

Old December 6th 03, 11:16 PM
culprit

"whitespc1" wrote in message
Any suggestions on breeds to consider:

I did an on-line questionnaire and the dogs that came up for me we
1) Bernese Mountain Dog
2) Old English Sheepdog (I had 2 of these as a kid)
3) King Charles Spaniel

What are the other dogs that qualify for:
- small household
- no yard (community association with a leash law)
- requires little to medium exercise
- great with Kids! (boys, 5 + 7 years old)
- great with Kids!
- good with other animals. We have a 3 year old Himalayan cat... not a
tolerant cat
- Not yappy and little barking required. This will not be a watchdog
- good with strangers
- playful but not aggressive

how about a bulldog? either the French or English variety would probably
fit the bill...

-kelly

Old December 6th 03, 11:26 PM
Rosa Palmén

[...]

Yup, Yala may get cut, but I don't intend to shave her. At the moment she
needs her fur, maybe I'll get her cut in the spring. It would be so funny
to see what she would look like if her coat was cut to say a little more
than an inch all over =) At least then people would stop asking if my dogs
are the same breed because they would definitely not look at all the same...

Rosa