Serial Killer

Old September 10th 03, 05:57 PM
Suja

Default Serial Killer

I have a confession to make. My dog is a serial killer. And absolutely
no remorse out of him either. Yesterday, I checked first to make sure
there were no critters about and let him out to pee before going on our
car ride. He starts ambling towards his usual spot (bramble, bushes)
and then takes off running. He tries to go straight through the bushes,
but can't, so circles around and goes in. A little bit of rustling in
the bushes, and then silence. I don't like this one bit, so I say 'Khan
man, where are you?' A bit more rustling in the bushes, and I finally
decided to go down there to see what's going on. The eeevil serial
killer is trying to navigate his way out of the bushes with something
large, brown and furry in his mouth. The automatic 'EWWW!' escapes my
mouth, and he drops the furry critter. Head goes down towards the
critter, when I finally remember to say 'Leave It'. Comes trotting over
to me, all proud and happy, spitting bits of fur from his mouth. All so
gross and too much like a nature documentary. No blood, so there is
something I have to be thankful for. I *really* hope that it is the
groundhog and not the beaver that he got. Unfortunately, that's the
beaver's hang out not the ground hog's.

Suja
Old September 10th 03, 06:51 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:57:08 -0400, Suja
wrote:

[...]

Heh. Got several serial killers here, but never had a beaver victim.
Or a ground hog either.

Did you read Suzanne Clothier's Bones Would Rain From the Sky?
There's a funny anecdote about one of her dogs catching something and
dropping it each of the several times she told him to, then picking it
up again when she said "let's go". She reminds us that "leave it"
should often follow "drop it".

Mustang Sally

Old September 10th 03, 06:55 PM
Manadero

From: Suja
Date: 9/10/2003 12:57 PM Eastern Standard Time

I *really* hope that it is the
groundhog and not the beaver that he got. Unfortunately, that's the
beaver's hang out not the ground hog's.

Last week I heard Beck and Taylor fighting. They never fight. Apparently,
they had found a baby (half grown) Opossum. A new Toy. They were fighting
over possession of the Toy. The Toy, right by the back porch, appeared, well,
dead. Standing guard so they didn't grab it up again, I called DH to bring me
a plastic bag with which to dispose of the Toy. He did and as I scooped it up,
I noticed that the Toy was Still Breathing. Apparently, it's Oscar award
winning performance (and the fact that the dogs wanted to argue about it) saved
it's life. Now not knowing what to do with it, I carried it through the house
to my van, where there are always crates. As I put it in the van, was still
torn 1) emergency vet or 2) freedom. As I set him down, he rolled over, stood
up, shook and humpied (new word) himself to the back of the crate, apparently
uninjured. Freedom it was. I drove him to a nearby nature area near a creek.
Going to the back of the van, I found him *hanging* from the door, wondering
what in the heck had happened to him. Took the whole crate out, opened it and,
after some time, convinced him that it was ok to come out. Realizing that he
was free, he ran off. Very happy little Opossum, I think, not to be a midnight
snack!

Robin
Old September 10th 03, 06:55 PM
Manadero

Old September 10th 03, 06:56 PM
Suja

"sighthounds etc." wrote:

Heh. Got several serial killers here, but never had a beaver victim.
Or a ground hog either.

What do they catch? You'd think that with a 60 ft. head start these
things would be able to get away from a not-particularly-fast dog, but
noooo.

Did you read Suzanne Clothier's Bones Would Rain From the Sky?

Yup. Didn't really care for it, although I loved the whole opening
story about licking the aunt.

There's a funny anecdote about one of her dogs catching something and
dropping it each of the several times she told him to, then picking it
up again when she said "let's go". She reminds us that "leave it"
should often follow "drop it".

Yup. I think that's what happened here. I asked him where he was,
which is his cue to check in, and he was figuring out how the heck to
get out of the bramble without having his eyes poked out and still
retain possession of whatever it was he killed. By now 'Ewww'
(sometimes 'Ewww, Ewww, Ewww' - yes, I know not to repeat it) has become
some sort of an unofficial 'Drop it'. He always lets go if I make a
stink about it.

Suja

Old September 10th 03, 07:07 PM
sighthounds etc.

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:56:57 -0400, Suja
wrote:

"sighthounds etc." wrote:

Heh. Got several serial killers here, but never had a beaver victim.
Or a ground hog either.

What do they catch? You'd think that with a 60 ft. head start these
things would be able to get away from a not-particularly-fast dog, but
noooo.

Mostly squirrels, and rabbits. It's mostly the Sibes that catch them,
though the Greyhounds have caught one or two. The Siberians stalk
them rather than chase them, which is why they catch more than the
GHs. The Sibes get moles too. And, unfortunately, though my dogs are
cat friendly to our indoor cats, a couple of stray cats have come
inside the fence and met their demise.

Did you read Suzanne Clothier's Bones Would Rain From the Sky?

Yup. Didn't really care for it, although I loved the whole opening
story about licking the aunt.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you like it?

There's a funny anecdote about one of her dogs catching something and

dropping it each of the several times she told him to, then picking it
up again when she said "let's go". She reminds us that "leave it"
should often follow "drop it".

Yup. I think that's what happened here. I asked him where he was,
which is his cue to check in, and he was figuring out how the heck to
get out of the bramble without having his eyes poked out and still
retain possession of whatever it was he killed. By now 'Ewww'
(sometimes 'Ewww, Ewww, Ewww' - yes, I know not to repeat it) has become
some sort of an unofficial 'Drop it'. He always lets go if I make a
stink about it.

Cool! He drops it if you just say Ewwww! What a smart doggy!

Mustang Sally