Escalation of behavior prior to extinction of behavior.

Old September 11th 03, 04:00 AM
Nessa

Default Escalation of behavior prior to extinction of behavior.

Let's hear what folks have to say about a dog who's BAD behavior escalates
after the corrections for it have started. How long does it last in your
experience?

For those that care, the BIGGEST problem with Bagel right now is his
REFUSAL to give something up. I worked on drop it a bit with him tonight and
he seemed to freely give up the object we were using, however in real life
later tonight when I wanted him to drop something he downright refused. I
gave a correction and he snarled and snapped. Also he was a bit snappish at
the park tonight.

It strikes me that THIS behavior is escalationg while the other behaviors are
complying more and more. But the snapping and growling is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

and yeah it's getting worse since I started correcting him on it and making
him comply with everything else.

Just want to hear from others concerning escalation of behavior before
extinction.

Nessa
--
I don't have issues

Old September 11th 03, 04:12 AM
=mic_heal

BWAHAAAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!

Another Janet Boss pupil moment.

BWAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAfreeeakinHAHAHAAAA !!!

Please tell us what kind of corrections Janet has you using and then we
can heelp you.

the producer...
live...
http://dogtv.com

Old September 11th 03, 01:56 PM
Nessa

=mic_heal wrote in message ...

Please tell us what kind of corrections Janet has you using and then we
can heelp you.

Actually Mic_heal I would PREFER To hear what everyone has to say
PRIOR TO MY saying what I am DOING.

that was the whole point of not discussing WHAT I AM DOING. I wanted
a FREE FLOW of INFORMATION.

now toddle off and pray for my un-repentant soul.

Old September 11th 03, 04:19 PM
DogStar716

and yeah it's getting worse since I started correcting him on it and making
him comply with everything else.

Why are you correcting him? And how?

For dogs with resource guarding issues, the reason they growl and snap is
because they think you are going to take away their resource.

You need to start all over. Heres a link that shows how to make the appearance
of you and your hands a good thing:
http://www.doglogic.com/possess.htm
Dogstar716
My Dogs: http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/TheBoys.html

Old September 11th 03, 05:50 PM
Alison

Hi Nessa,
I've not been following you posts but I remember when you adopted
Bagel and the problems you had. What correction are you giving? Does
it help if you offer something in exchange . Dibby the dog and Kim the
cat will do anything for a cat biscuit.
I think if you have an animal that is aggressive, it's better to
persuade and to avoid agro.
--
Alison

.GIGANEWS.COM...

Old September 11th 03, 07:34 PM
Tricia9999

For those that care, the BIGGEST problem with Bagel right now is his
REFUSAL to give something up. I worked on drop it a bit with him tonight and

he seemed to freely give up the object we were using, however in real life
later tonight when I wanted him to drop something he downright refused. I
gave a correction and he snarled and snapped. Also he was a bit snappish at

the park tonight.

You are making the problem worse. The more important and scarce you make the
resource seem to her, the more she is going to want to guard it and keep it
from you. Exchange things like a goody for the thing, tell her thank you and
give it right back to her. You will eventually have her bringing things to you
rather than trying to keep them from you due to your irrational possessiveness.