Request for Canine Behavior Book

Old September 11th 03, 06:02 PM
Deb

Default Request for Canine Behavior Book

I know many have been mentioned here before. Apologies for not jotting them all
down. A 'park-dog-walker' buddy has a gorgeous GSD who has come far with good
training. This friend has characterized a few encounters with other dogs as her
dog 'attacking' when all I see is normal boundaries being established (i.e. no
continued contact, just a lot of rather snarky snappish 'back-off' signals). Is
there a book I can recommend for her to help her distinguish a problem
situation? She told me this morning that her Corry had 'attacked' two small
dogs at the dog park. When I asked her about it in detail it seemed that the
'attackees' had harassed Corry to the point that she turned on them and
dramatically 'got in their face' to make them stop. No biting, no contact at
all. She's very aloof with my two and will greet, but if Shi growls at her
sniffing too long she walks away. Correct behavior, right? Sorry for the length
of this.

Deb
Shilo, Georgie & Hank

Old September 11th 03, 07:24 PM
sionnach

"Deb" wrote:

This friend has characterized a few encounters with other dogs as her
dog 'attacking' when all I see is normal boundaries being established

snip
it seemed that the
'attackees' had harassed Corry to the point that she turned on them and
dramatically 'got in their face' to make them stop. No biting, no contact

at
all.

It might be worth giving your friend a printout of "He Just Wants to Say
Hi".

Old September 11th 03, 10:37 PM
Kaabooo

This friend has characterized a few encounters with other dogs as her
dog 'attacking' when all I see is normal boundaries being established

I recomment "On Talking terms with dogs - Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas.

Kate

Old September 12th 03, 01:07 AM
BonnieTheCollie

I recomment "On Talking terms with dogs - Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas.

As well as "Dogs are From Neptune", by Jean Donaldson.

Jana
Old September 12th 03, 01:07 AM
BonnieTheCollie