Digging Beagle

Old September 11th 03, 10:10 PM
Greg

Default Digging Beagle

Our beagle is trying to tunnel under our fence and get in the neighbors yard
to play with their collie. I've filled up the hole and put her poop in the
hole in hopes that she won't dig there. But that didn't stop her. Is there a
spray I can use to keep her away from the fence line? I've tried ammonia
too. But it doesn't last long enough to keep her away.

Thanks,
Greg

Old September 11th 03, 11:19 PM
Greg

Oh hey. Good idea. I didn't think about doing it that way. I was thinking
about chicken wire or something attached to the side of the fence and then
buried down about a foot or so in the ground.

"Child" wrote in message
.44...
"Greg" wrote in :

Our beagle is trying to tunnel under our fence and get in the
neighbors yard to play with their collie. I've filled up the hole and
put her poop in the hole in hopes that she won't dig there. But that
didn't stop her. Is there a spray I can use to keep her away from the
fence line? I've tried ammonia too. But it doesn't last long enough to
keep her away.

I attached some hardware cloth to the fence with wire ties, so that it

came
down the sides of the fence and then lay on the ground. Dogs dont' like

dig on hardware cloth.

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK

It's YOUR God.
They are YOUR rules.
YOU burn in hell.

Old September 12th 03, 01:09 AM
Julia Altshuler

I know this is contraversial, but I've had good luck with an invisible
fence that runs just inside the real one. My dog can't get too close to
the fence to dig under it.

Your dog isn't being stuck out in the yard alone all day is she? Being
out there to play with her and train her and keep her occupied is your
best bet. If you can't be out there with her, she should be inside with
you.

Ammonia is dangerous to use around dogs. So is poop though in a
different way. Best to clean up poop regularly and put it out of sight.

--Lia

Old September 12th 03, 04:05 PM
Julia Altshuler

Greg wrote:
Sorry. I read about the poop thing on another website. I don't see why it
would be dangerous. We give her worm pills on a regular basis. And she has
no fleas. There isn't any chance of her getting worms from the poop.
Although Beagles tend to like to roll around in the poop. Pretty much
anything smelly.

From your last message, I can see that you've run into our resident
lunatic. If you do feel an urge to talk/argue with him (the rest of us
have him killfiled), label your post [ninnyboy] (note the brackets), or
at least don't quote him.

Now to the more interesting subject of dogs. Poop from a healthy dog
isn't necessarily dangerous in any life or health threatening way. When
I say it is dangerous to leave around, I mean that by removing it, you
remove the danger that your dog will become a poop-eater or a
poop-roller in or a poop-digger around. With the poop gone, you've got
no smelly poop in your yard.

--Lia

Old September 12th 03, 07:15 PM
Greg

Well that's true. And I do make a habit of cleaning it up. I had also read
about burying a balloon in the hole. When she digs it up it would explode
and give her a scare. I would just have to watch it and make sure she
doesn't try to eat it. She's like a nanny goat. She will eat anything. =)

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Greg wrote:
Sorry. I read about the poop thing on another website. I don't see why

it
would be dangerous. We give her worm pills on a regular basis. And she

has
no fleas. There isn't any chance of her getting worms from the poop.
Although Beagles tend to like to roll around in the poop. Pretty much
anything smelly.

From your last message, I can see that you've run into our resident