Cubbe report: Chief

Old September 13th 03, 05:04 AM
Julia Altshuler

Default Cubbe report: Chief

Chief if my neighbor Jo's 40# 1 1/2 year old Sheltie. Jim has been
running into them on his morning walks with Cubbe. For a week he's been
feeding me glowing reports about how Cubbe is terrific with Chief.
Cubbe has never been particularly wonderful with any other dog, so
terrible in fact that I'd despaired at ever seeing Cubbe frolic and play
with other dogs. I'd resigned myself to the idea that Cubbe is happy
with her people, her yard, her squirrels, her spot on the couch, and
that makes a pretty good life, one that doesn't involve the
companionship of her own species. Jim's reports were encouraging.

Jim convinced Jo to bring Chief over for a playdate. We put Cubbe on a
leash so she could meet Chief again on neutral territory. They sniffed
as dogs normally do. Chief and Cubbe entered the front door. To my
amazement, all was fine. Out in the backyard and off leash, Cubbe
didn't pay much attention to Chief, but there was no trouble even though
she and Chief were close to each other. Both dogs seemed more
interested that their people were handing out treats (for good behaviors
like SITs).

Jim went into the house for some balls thinking the 2 dogs would like to
chase them together. He did not consult me about this hare brained
scheme. Jo and I were 5 feet away from the dogs when Cubbe decided to
attack Chief. She's not an experienced fighter so I don't know if
attack is the right word. She was snarfing, making growly noises,
jumping on Chief, had her mouth on Chief's neck (on his back, behind his
ears) and basically not looking friendly, but I think if she'd wanted to
do real damage, she would have, and Chief was fine, nary a hair out of
place. Naturally with us all right there, we were able to intervene in
seconds.

A second later, it was all over. Cubbe looked like she'd like to be
friends again, but Chief, while not running away or anything was
obviously spooked and keeping his distance. Jo and Chief went home. (I
went with them for chat and apologies, but that's not part of the Cubbe
story.)

Cubbe has never food or toy guarded with people. Might she have been
guarding the balls Jim brought out? Or was it the fact that we let our
guard down for a few seconds and she got scared of Chief when we all
weren't practically on top of her? Or did we push her too far by
leaving her and Chief together for too many minutes when a few seconds
would have been better for a first try? Or other theories?

Do we continue trying to find a dog that will put up with Cubbe? Or do
we give up again and go back to letting Cubbe live a dogless existence?

--Lia

Old September 13th 03, 05:20 AM
Rocky

Julia Altshuler said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Or other theories?

I think that they were getting comfortable with each other.
Cubbe then tried to dominate the situation and Chief was OK with
that up to a certain point.

Both were clumsy, but will get better.

Old September 13th 03, 05:20 AM
Tara O.

Its probably just resource guarding towards a strange dog which is pretty
normal with my breed. I never bring out toys, chewies or food until a new
foster dog and Fancy have had a couple of days to get used to each other.
The foster is fed separately and all toys/bones and such are put away. They
can be fine together albeit wary but introduce some item or food and they're
ready to go at it.

--
Tara