First day of dog class

Old September 12th 03, 03:19 AM
BonnieTheCollie

Default First day of dog class

New baby Pepper came home last Friday. She's a 12 week old collie, and is
promising to be a really super puppy. Coming from rural upstate NY to the
center of Baltimore would throw anyone for a loop, but she's got a nice little
independant streak. Last night she sat calmly beside my feet and watched a
police car, sirens blaring, fly by at full speed. Cocked her ears and watched
it intently, but wasn't afraid or upset. She's outgoing, confidant, and lots
of fun - and so calm. She accepted being alone almost at once, and is coming
right along with housebreaking (I have a dog walker come in midday). Very
important, Bonnie actually likes her (she's usually aloof toward puppies).

She's going to be going to two obedience classes - one is on Saturday and is
informal, outdoors, and is partially devoted to free play between the puppies
in the class (usually between 6 and 10, according to the information I've been
given - we won't start this one until the 20th).

The other is Tuesday nights. It's held at the building where I take Bonnie
for therapy dog meetings. The club trains service dogs, and this obed. class
is a new venture, along with agility, that is to help raise money for the
service dog program. It's not a puppy class - it's geared toward those who
want to compete, but Pepper and a Golden pup (same age) come and work parallel
to the big dogs, with the instructor dividing her time between the two groups.

Problem: I am not really fond of this instructor. And I can find something
to like about almost everyone. I met her the first time about a year and a
half ago, at another dog-related function, and she spent a lot of time trying
to convince me - and everyone else - that Bonnie is blind because she's a
double merle. Only, she kept calling it "white factored" which is,
genetically, a whole nother kettle of fish. Bonnie is out of a blue-headed
white and a tri, so it's impossible - and she's well pigmented, which MM dogs
rarely are. The eye thing is a mystery - even the optho vet can't say for sure
why she's blind.

Oh, and Pepper *is* a double merle. The first thing the instructor said,
loudly, (before saying hi, even) was "is that dog blind?" (she didn't remember
me from before, in which case this would have been a valid question). Then,
"is it deaf?". Nope, perfect vision and hearing, besides being a normal eyed
noncarrier. So, "it's a rescue, right?". No on that count too. A couple of
the other people were curious, so she goes into her spiel about how double
merles are always defective and only come from really ignorant breeders - still
calling it white factoring! Pepper is predominantly white, with speckles of
blue and tan, a pink streak on her nose, and blue eyes. So yes, she is white,
but she's not *white*.

This class was supposed to be for Bonnie, but what it boiled down to was that
they didn't want her. The director of the club (who was in charge of signing
people up) kept telling me it was a *competition* class. Which I said "yes"
to. Again; but it's for people who want to *compete*. Yes again. This went
back and forth for a few minutes, till I gave up. I did mention that Bonnie
had competed in Rally, but she sort of blew that off - "just for fun".
Everything I do with them is "just for fun!" Bonnie, especially, won't
cooperate if she's not enjoying herself. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't
force the Bonnie issue. I'd rather train her on my own than in a class where
she's not wanted, or worse, pitied or seen as the novelty act.

As I watched the class with Pepper, I kept saying to myself - she can *do*
this! She isn't polished, sure, but neither were a lot of dogs in that class.
Infact, her figure 8 was better than a couple of theirs. It was basically the
same stuff we've been doing in Novice for a year. Only, that was at my old
club, where everyone knew me and Bonnie. Since I've moved, the old club is 50
miles away.

Just needed to bitch a little bit. But on the plus side, Pepper did really
well! After only being with me for four days, she did a very good sit, down,
and stand, and she's so attentive. I love having those beautiful blue eyes
glued to my face, even if I know she only really wants a piece of cheese.

Jana