Nipping Pups

Old September 16th 03, 04:33 AM
Leah

(Debbie S) wrote:

, and I raise you a boggle for this apparently permanent twist, no
matter how many times I DIDN'T ever either say or even imply this.

EXCUSE ME? You most certainly did.

This isn't typical behavior for a young GSD, is it? To be so
unguardedly friendly?

Uh huh. Read for context this time. I'll give you a hint. What breed am I
asking about?

Then in another post, same thread:

I thought that their temperament was supposed to be a bit aloof with
strangers. Friendly, even-tempered, but guarded.
This guy is anything but guarded. Mom says he doesn't even bark when
somebody's at the door. As soon as they enter, even strangers, Max wants
to lick them to death.

No kidding. He's a _puppy! So why were you surprised that he was all
happy wiggly, if _not because of what you understood to be breed
characteristics? Sorry, the only way I can read this is that you
thought a puppy should behave as an adult dog.

Let me try to clarify ONE MORE TIME.

I do not see GSDs who act like this. Never. Some of the 4-5 month old pups,
but even many of them are skittish and shy. (I also see this too often in
dobies and min pins). I even met a 3-month old GSD who was fear-aggressive, in
a scary way.

All of the older adolescents (like this one) and adults have been, if not
simply unapproachable, at least aloof. Even the friendly ones.

So to me, Max appeared atypical of the breed. GSD people here have told me
that no, a well-bred GSD *should* be this friendly. So maybe it's not the
breed, but breedING that has caused the lousy examples I see in the store.

Do you understand now that what I asked had NOTHING to do with how a year-old
dog should act, but rather how a typical GSD should act? And is it that
earth-shattering that a trainer doesn't know everything there is to know about
every breed?

Do you expect a year old Great Dane to act like a year old golden? Why
not? They're both puppies, right?

This has nothing to do with how you're teaching when you really know
very little about dogs. I was absolutely flabbergasted to read your
posts in the 'collie in a gsd suit' thread. That something so very
basic had totally escaped you, yet you *teach*.

WHAT is basic? The typical temperament of a GSD?

Besides... and somehow this little factoid keeps getting pushed under the
carpet, when it's the main reason I posted with that subject line... it's not
just that Max is exuberantly friendly that tickled me. If so, I probably would
have called him a golden in a GSD suit.

Okay, collie people, help me out here. You know that way collies dance back
and forth on their front feet, with their heads swinging back and forth, giving
timed "Yip! Yip! Yips!" of sheer joy? I've *only* seen collies do this exact
movement, and sound this exact way. Until Max. As I said, his body language,
barks, AND attitude are all collie.

You mean the way I was shown how to do it by a previous trainer? And I
was supposed to know this was wrong without asking how?

Because you _so lack experience, even the basics have escaped you.
Don't you understand that?

I know the dogs in my classes learn behaviors, become socialized, and improve
their communication with their owners. My lack of experience has not been an
obstacle in doing my job well, since when I'm not sure what to do, I *ask*
somebody more experienced.

To have so little experience that you
weren't fitting a common piece of equipment properly is quite telling.
I wouldn't _dream of trying to use a piece of equipment, or teach a
certain method to a student/dog unless I knew my stuff forwards,
backwards, and inside out. You know so little, you truly don't
understand how little you know!!!! That you'd take the word of _one
person, and run with it, speaks volumes.

Since it (a) works, and (b) the dog shows no sign of stress or pain with it on,
tell me again how I should have even suspected that I was shown the wrong way
by my TRAINER? Oh, that's right, I *did* suspect something was wrong. I
wasn't comfortable with the way they were slipping down the dogs' necks, which
is why I asked about them.

Oops, I was supposed to be sitting on my hands... :}

firmly places hands under butt and staples them securely to the chair

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.