labrador life expectancy?

Old December 11th 03, 06:32 AM
Johnny

Default labrador life expectancy?

I've read here and there online that the average lifespan is between
12-14 years.. is that right? I first read 10-12 years and then checked
around more to find the average of 12-14 years. I haven't really payed
attention to my dog's age until reading this.. My parents bought her
from a breeder back in mid 91'.. which i guess would make her about 12
1/2 years old. I pretty much grew up with her (born 85') and for some
reason I always thought dogs live to around 20 years, probably from
something my parents told me when I was young. But anyway, to be
honest I'm really overcome with grief now. I know its the way its jsut
the way it is but my dog has always been active and heathy. Still now
she acts like a puppy, very happy and bright. People get surprised
when I tell them her age. I noticed recently that she groans a bit
once in a while when she lays down. Not always though so do you think
i can rule out any hip problems? I really don't know what i'll do if
she gets sick or develops something. I've grown very attached to her.
She's healthy now.. but what about next year or the year after? Its
unbearable to think about really. Has anyone here had a labrador live
longer than 15 years?

Thanks,

John
Old December 11th 03, 12:28 PM
Diana

"Johnny" wrote in message
I've read here and there online that the average lifespan is between
12-14 years.. is that right? I first read 10-12 years and then checked
around more to find the average of 12-14 years. I haven't really payed
attention to my dog's age until reading this.. My parents bought her
from a breeder back in mid 91'.. which i guess would make her about 12
1/2 years old. I pretty much grew up with her (born 85') and for some
reason I always thought dogs live to around 20 years, probably from

Dogs can live in to their twenties, but its not common, especially for
heavier dogs. I haven't personally met a pedigree lab over 15, but I'm sure
there are a few about.... but like any life, its really a case of fate ~
your numbers up when your numbers up and sadly that can be at anytime from
the moment of conception.

As I am sure you are aware ~ the best chance of a long active life will be
gained from a healthy lifestyle. Good quality food, avoiding excess weight
and a sense of purpose with 'happiness' all contribute.

You mention your dog groaning when getting up or down? I would think she
probably is getting a little stiff from arthritis in her hips ~ its worth a
vet visit for some medication to reduce this discomfort, as that will
improve her quality of life, i.e. 'happiness', so contributing to a possible
longer life expectancy...

You can try & hope, but I'm afraid you must also accept the facts of life.

Diana

Old December 11th 03, 12:42 PM
Diana

"Diana" wrote in message

just to re-word... thinking about it, this might have read a little harsh

[..]
You can try & hope, but I'm afraid you must also accept the facts of life.

I mean try & take each day as it comes and live for the now, rather than
dwelling on the 'what ifs'... though I know its easier said than done,
you'll both enjoy what is left of your time together even more...

Diana

Old December 11th 03, 01:09 PM
Emily Carroll

"Johnny" wrote in message
I've read here and there online that the average lifespan is between
12-14 years.. is that right? I first read 10-12 years and then checked
around more to find the average of 12-14 years.

Most labs seem to either pass around the 10-11 stage, or make it to the
14-15 stage. Many of the "greats" in the breed have made it to 14.5 or
longer.

I noticed recently that she groans a bit
once in a while when she lays down. Not always though so do you think
i can rule out any hip problems? I really don't know what i'll do if
she gets sick or develops something. I've grown very attached to her.
She's healthy now.. but what about next year or the year after? Its
unbearable to think about really. Has anyone here had a labrador live
longer than 15 years?

I have one that's 10 and will probably make it another year or two...I have
a friend that has a 11 year old that probably will live to 14.5 or 15.

It's heartbreaking to consider that your beloved friend--especially one
you've had so long--is getting old and you must consider when the time
comes. I think you can safely rule out any major hip problems. If she gets
sick or develops something...I think this is something that families should
discuss before the time comes.

In discussing a dog that becomes majorly sick, I personally don't believe in
pulling out all the stops for a dog that may have only another month or two
(or six months) that you will be filling with pain. I feel it's better to
wait and let the dog have a few more happy, painfree days, and euthanize
than spend months trying to make a dog that is terminally ill feel better
for a day or two before another disease comes along. I also feel that,
while I love my pets dearly, keeping them alive and sick is far worse than
humanely euthanizing them, regardless of the age. Correcting a disease that
can be completely or nearly-completely cured is one thing. "Helping" with
the pain is another subject altogether.

~Emily

---

Old December 11th 03, 03:57 PM
EGD

"Johnny" wrote in message
[...]

To add to that which others have said, I do feel genetics have a great deal
to do with life expectancy.
In my own breed, where life expectancy is usually an average of 7.5 years,
one "line" I had all lived to beyond 11 years and one to 16 which was almost
unheard of in the breed.
My other "line" was known to not have longevity, and sure enough, I lost
them early - yet all were obviously living in the same household, same food
etc.
Knowing a great deal about all dogs in a pedigree can go a long way in
telling one about the probability of long life.
EGD

Old December 12th 03, 04:47 AM
asdf

My grandmother had a lab (Tippy). IIRC, Tippy lived to be 18 years old.
Old December 12th 03, 02:03 PM
Sionnach

for some
reason I always thought dogs live to around 20 years, probably from
something my parents told me when I was young.

20 years is *highly* unusual. Average lifespan of dogs is, IIRC, 14- with
larger dogs generally living shorter lives (giant breeds' average age is
something like 9) and small generally dogs living longer.
So yes, 12 1/2 is getting up there for a Lab... one of our semi-regular
posters often uses a sig line which says "Dog's lives are too short- their
only fault, really."

Old December 13th 03, 04:37 AM
Johnny

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:03:00 -0500, "Sionnach"
wrote:

for some
reason I always thought dogs live to around 20 years, probably from
something my parents told me when I was young.

20 years is *highly* unusual. Average lifespan of dogs is, IIRC, 14- with
larger dogs generally living shorter lives (giant breeds' average age is
something like 9) and small generally dogs living longer.
So yes, 12 1/2 is getting up there for a Lab... one of our semi-regular
posters often uses a sig line which says "Dog's lives are too short- their
only fault, really."

that quote is so true... My sister has an african grey parrot that was
passed down from our great grandmother.. the parrot is about 75 years
old!! amazing really...
Old December 13th 03, 05:00 AM
Johnny

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:57:11 GMT, "EGD"
wrote:

"Johnny" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

thanks for the reply. I tracked down the breeders and unfortunately my
dogs mother died at around 12.5 from kidney problems. The father had
to be put down due to an accident. luckily no hip problems in either
of them. I noticed by looking at the pictures of their dogs (they
tooks lots of pictures) that they both seemed a bit overweight... I
try keep my lab as slim as possible as recommended by my vet.. Does
anyone know if kidney problems are hereditary? I think i'll have a
urine analysis on her done just for safety anyway.
Old December 13th 03, 11:28 AM
EGD

"Johnny" wrote in message

that quote is so true... My sister has an african grey parrot that was
passed down from our great grandmother.. the parrot is about 75 years
old!! amazing really...

Yes Johnny, Parrots have (thankfully for their owners) usually a long life
span. In fact it is wise for Parrot owners to always make particular
arrangements intheir Wills for their birds, since most large Parrot species
outlive their owners.
We have had ours for 28 years now.
EGD