Continuing Education

Old September 17th 03, 08:12 AM
Lynn K.

Default Continuing Education

Melanie Chang made a comment in another thread about rpdbehavior not
being the best online discussion source on training and behavior.
She's right, of course, and I know a lot of us are in different groups
because I see a whole lot of email addrs I recognise elsewhere :-) It
might be useful to hear people's recommendations.
For example, of the 300+ Yahoo egroups on training & behavior, I'd
recommend the following to anyone interested in general pet dog stuff:

agbeh
dog_read (great thread this week on bite inhibition/impulse control)
dogbehaviorscience
realdogtraining
dog_aggression

I'm not suggesting that one can learn everything through online
groups. They're just one more source of information. Classes,
periodicals, professional groups, books, seminars, clubs, peer
consultations, etc., are every bit as important or more so. 20-25
hours a week invested in learning and increasing skills is probably
pretty typical for most trainers, just as it is for most people in
other areas of interest.

Lynn K.
Old September 17th 03, 02:49 PM
Gwen Watson

"Lynn K." wrote:

20-25
hours a week invested in learning and increasing skills is probably
pretty typical for most trainers, just as it is for most people in
other areas of interest.

Lynn K.

Yep at least. I would imagine Lance Armstrong spends much
more than 20-25 hours a week, for instance.

Gwen

Old September 17th 03, 06:05 PM
Tricia9999

I check out lots of different groups, regardless of theme - breed specific,
hunting specific, whatever. Sometimes there is one person on a list that has
tons of knowledge and has an attitude that doesn't dismiss, and you can get
wonderful pearls from them. Most lists are filled with noise (like usenet), but
it's worth it to find the one or two people who have real insight and
knowledge.

Old September 18th 03, 02:41 AM
Leah

(Lynn K.) wrote:
For example, of the 300+ Yahoo egroups on training & behavior, I'd
recommend the following to anyone interested in general pet dog stuff:

I have attempted several times to subscribe to yahoo groups, and it just never
works. I was particularly interested in an aggression group.

I haven't a clue what the problem is. Maybe I'll try again.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.