Canaan dogs

Old December 12th 03, 05:01 PM
Bethgsd

Default Canaan dogs

Has anyone had first hand experience with the breed? Any good stories to share?
Yes, I'm playing what other breed could I own again:-)
Beth
Old December 12th 03, 08:13 PM
AndreaS

"Bethgsd" wrote:
Has anyone had first hand experience with the breed? Any good stories to

share?
Yes, I'm playing what other breed could I own again:-)

Funny! I was just looking at them myself in the AKC Gazette thinking, "I
wonder if I could live with one of these..."

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old December 12th 03, 09:51 PM

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:13:10 GMT AndreaS whittled these words:
"Bethgsd" wrote:
Has anyone had first hand experience with the breed? Any good stories to

share?
Yes, I'm playing what other breed could I own again:-)

Funny! I was just looking at them myself in the AKC Gazette thinking, "I
wonder if I could live with one of these..."

They are a pretty good follow-up to a Basenji.

Old December 13th 03, 04:10 AM
Robin Nuttall

Bethgsd wrote:
Has anyone had first hand experience with the breed? Any good stories to share?
Yes, I'm playing what other breed could I own again:-)
Beth

There are a couple in agility around here. Very independent sight-hound
breeds, probably remind me most of Basenjis.

Old December 13th 03, 05:30 AM
AndreaS

"montana" wrote
snip
That's hilarious. That's usually the first dog that pops up on any breed
picker I play with. I've never seen one. The one thing I always pick as
the highest priority is a couch spud/no exercise kind of dog.

I've seen them, but there are quite a few dogs who I like and think are
beautiful but wouldn't live with one if you paid me to. I haven't gotten to
know any. Given Diane's and Robin's response, maybe I will introduce myself
to their owners.

As herding dogs from pariah stock, I'd think they are active with off
switches. But I know nothing about them, honestly. Other than what I've read
which considering what I've read about Basenjis, may be anywhere from dead
on to wildly inaccurate.

Old December 13th 03, 06:38 AM
AndreaS

"Melanie L Chang" wrote
snip
It seems like they were more all-around
companion/flockguard types that could be used to scare sheep or goats
into moving if necessary.

LOL

I could see a Basenji doing that too. Hey wait, mine HAVE done that, and
they weren't even loose! Herding instinct is not anywhere on my list of
needs. What I don't want is a lot of barking, dependency, or a soft
temperament. I find is an issue with most sighthounds, despite the fact that
I love most other things about them. RRs seem to vary a lot, though I'm
still looking into them as a "someday" dog. A resiliant, hard dog is
important to me, though.

Of course, all this is way, way off in the distance. I'm probably going to
have another Basenji soon. (Still working out the details on that lease.) I
really don't need 6 dogs, much less 7!

Did I announce that Fancy turned 13 last month? Well she did! Delphi turned
10 last month too. Shane turns 10 in January, and "the girls" will be 6yo on
the 19th. Where did the time go?

Old December 13th 03, 10:33 PM
Bethgsd

Robin Nuttall wrote:

There are a couple in agility around here. Very independent sight-hound
breeds, probably remind me most of Basenjis.

Hmmm, that would not be a good thing for a GSD person like myself. The Canaan
National in 2004 is in Leesburg which is ~1.5 hours from me. If I'm still
interested I plan on going and watching. According to the parent club website
they are good trackers and sound like they could be a good smaller dog for
someone used to GSDs. Will have to keep investigating.

Beth
Old December 13th 03, 11:38 PM
culprit

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message

I don't know how much herding they've actually been bred for. I've always
found them interesting (because I like pariahs, or at least the idea of
pariahs, and they look superficially like some Border Collies),

aren't "pariah" dogs just mongrels that are half wild and live in third
world cities, scavenging for food? it seems that they could look like just
about anything, depending on what they're descended from.

-kelly

Old December 14th 03, 02:15 AM
Melissa S. Frye

aren't "pariah" dogs just mongrels that are half wild and live in third
world cities, scavenging for food? it seems that they could look like

just
about anything, depending on what they're descended from.

But they tend to converge on a certain type - prick eared, curling tail, tan
often....

Canaan dogs, Ibizan, pharoahs, and a few others are classified as "primitive
breeds" by the FCI.
It's a lot more accurate than classifying them as "herding breeds" or
"sighthounds".

You know they are doing agility too? (Contact me if you are interested!).
Alan who is runnign the agilty has two and is a great guy. They are nice
dog, not as drivey as I would like, but I bet he will have the first MAch
Canaan dog...

--
Melissa S. Frye
Skyrocket cockers www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/

2 points about bad advice (in response to lynn kosmakos the dogmurderer) lynn kosmakos is a dog murderer Dog breeds 0 December 11th 03 02:32 AM
Bad Mad Dogs CaptRon Dog breeds 13 November 15th 03 01:39 PM
Some people need educating!! CPit_Dogs Dog breeds 12 November 13th 03 04:47 AM
1 Day Left to Enroll in the 2003 Texas Iron Dogs Camp Andrew Mouser Dog activities 0 October 14th 03 12:12 AM
another eevil pit bull story m_ i c h7 e-ae l Dog breeds 0 October 8th 03 05:15 AM