Whippets - one or two?

Old December 13th 03, 09:15 PM
FAJ

Default Whippets - one or two?

Went to see a friends whippet and lurcher today. The whippet was a
really nice little friendly dog that seemed full of beans and a bit
different from the usual. I had thought of an ex-racing greyhound but
now like the little compact nature of a whippet. Since I work I
wondered if it is usually a good idea to get two instread of one -
just so that they both have each others company when I'm not around.

Good idea?

Any Whippet advice welcome too.
Old December 14th 03, 02:40 PM
C. L.

Are they puppies? Never get more than one puppy at once. Training becomes
a major problem. If they're adult and well trained, it's up to you.

m...

Old December 14th 03, 10:20 PM
C. L.

"FAJ" wrote in message
m...
Hmmm...I can see training two pups at once being tricky but if you
were to get one pup, spend a year or so training it until it is a bit
older and mature, then get another one, you are going to have two
years plus of dealing with young dogs?

Of course, you're right. But also consider that the now one year old dog
will assist in training the pup.

The reason it's so difficult to train two pups at once is you can't correct
just one. They won't know which one you're talking to. Try calling just
one while the other remains in a down. Etc etc etc. I've yet to see a
training book that says anything but "do not get two pups at the same time."

Old December 14th 03, 11:37 PM

On 14 Dec 2003 13:51:17 -0800 FAJ whittled these words:
Hmmm...I can see training two pups at once being tricky but if you
were to get one pup, spend a year or so training it until it is a bit
older and mature, then get another one, you are going to have two
years plus of dealing with young dogs?

I'm sure others out there get two young dogs at the same time? I do se
your point though and think it is something to think twice about.

I had a 7 month old and a 9 month old at the same time. It was NOT a good
idea. Yeah, I made it work, but I think it short changed both of them and
I know it was more stressful than one at a time. An adult dog and a pup
works great. My puppies have been much less work and much more fun when
they were the only youngsters. I will never again choose to have two pups
at once. If I were in your place where you are starting with no dogs I'd
start with a mature adult take some time for bonding and basic training
then 6 to 9 months later consider a pup.

Diane Blackman
Old December 15th 03, 02:17 AM
C. L.

"CaptRon" wrote in message
ink.net...

Try calling one of them when the other is trying to play tag or get one

dog
into a down-stay when the other keeps jumping on his head.

Haha, I can see it now. We currently have a very well behaved adult lab.
We're getting our Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy in March. I'm hoping there's a
LOT of osmosis going on in those first couple months.

Old December 15th 03, 06:06 AM
Jo Wolf

It's helpful to start with one dog, especially if it's your first dog as
an adult. You have a lot to learn from experience.... grin and a new
lifestyle to develop.

I also have students in class who got same-age puppies, left them
together all day, and then discovered that the pups had bonded to each
other, not to the humans! This complicates training. And along with
dealing with puppy exploration and destructiveness and busyness is why
the books say to do it one at a time. Sometimes "conventional wisdom" IS
wise. shrug

Start with a young adult... possibly a rescue.. and turn that dog into
your ideal pet before you add the next canine... of whatever age.... and
you'll still have a blast. Get the second dog for YOU, not for the
first dog.

Good luck and have fun!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old December 15th 03, 02:01 PM
CaptRon

"C. L." wrote in message

"CaptRon" wrote in message
ink.net...

Try calling one of them when the other is trying to play tag or get one

dog
into a down-stay when the other keeps jumping on his head.

Haha, I can see it now. We currently have a very well behaved adult lab.
We're getting our Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy in March. I'm hoping there's

LOT of osmosis going on in those first couple months.

we spent a lot of time working with both dogs individually, but I think that
Rayden just picked up a lot of things on his own. "Sit" and "Wait" esp
because thats what we do everytime we let the dogs outside as well as
feeding time. Rayden has a MUCH better recall though. Cypher used to
have a very good recall then he became a teenager and developed selective
hearing. Rayden on the other hand, will break off playing to come running
when you call him.

dainerra